Ever Feel the Need to Reduce Your Fly Tying Material

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Ever Feel the Need to Reduce Your Fly Tying Material

Post by billems »

All my fly tying stuff is getting overwhelming, as far as being organized. Have any of you streamlined your tying stuff to reduce inventory. I've seen pics of some of your tying rooms and setups, and I'm impressed by them. However, I'm just not an organized guy (ask my wife). I've got a large table in the basement, and a rack of large plastic trays arranged. But things get out of hand. Are any of you like me? The ADHD poster boy? I am open for suggestions.

Skeet1969
Guide

Re: Ever Feel the Need to Reduce Your Fly Tying Material

Post by Skeet1969 »

I just picked this oak roll-top desk up used locally. So much storage and a place for everything! The drawers have removable dividers, and the bottom (file) drawers can hold loads of stuff.

Migrating to it gave me the opportunity to go through all my stuff. The lower quality stuff (and good stuff I never will use) that I've had for years I bagged up and gave to a new tyer local to me.
Mike B

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

billems,

I started using Tupperware plastic tubs/bins years ago for the same reason. They are about 16x9x6 in size and stackable.

I have them dedicated to one type of material each: hackle in a tub, dubbing in a tub, hooks, etc, etc. I keep ParaD crystals in a tea infuser in the bins that hold natural materials to keep the bugs out. Been doing it for about 25 years now and have not lost any materials from bugs and it makes it easy to located anything I need and they are portable and don't take up much closet space.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Last year I made the hasty decision to liquidate my materials as there were only 5 or 6 flies that I seemed to use on a regular basis. I had materials for the gamut of species in freshwater and the whole lot sold to one fellow. Since then, I've spent easily what I sold everything for and am now trying to make sense out of having hooks and dubbing packs, thread spools and feathers, etc. scattered about. I envy those with dedicated areas of organization.
Skeet has it in spades!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

"Ever Feel the Need to Reduce Your Fly Tying Material"

Ha! NO! :)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I don't tie a lot of patterns, so no.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

barebo wrote:
09/08/21 08:15
am now trying to make sense out of having hooks and dubbing packs, thread spools and feathers, etc. scattered about. I envy those with dedicated areas of organization.
A few very cheap storage options I've been happy with...

1. "Diamond bead storage" boxes on Amazon -- 7 rows of four. Under $2 / box of 28 compartment if bought in bulk. These are really compact. They are cheap and cheaply made but they do the trick for trout sized hooks and dubbing and beads. Just don't shake them around. Also great for small nymph pattern storage. A real space saver. I tape a hook sample on top of each box to see each hook.

2. 4x6 photo storage boxes on Amazon, again about $2 each in bulk if you wait for a "sale". These are great for holding spools of thread, tinsel, wire, etc. The depth is perfect for a spool on it's side, though they don't necessarily fit great end to end, and if there are gaps they do roll around so keeping a particular order within each box can be a challenge. I have a box for midge threads, one for tinsels and wires, one for thicker threads, one for flosses, etc. These are also useful for storing tying tools. Cheap but cheaply made.

3. Embroidery floss "bobbins" / cards in a box with adjustable compartments. Also available on Amazon. These are flat plastic or cardboard squares with slots and ridges on the corners. The are put into a box designed to hold them upright so you see the sides of each card, with compartments that can be adjusted for different numbers of cards to fit in each grouping. Great for holding yarns, antron, zelon, raffia, etc. Very efficient use of space if you fill it up, even if you don't.

A more expensive option that also is great for hooks, beads, etc is the Elizabeth Ward bead storage system. Very well made, and a nice way to store hooks. The 92 ? Box system (smallest boxes) is great for trout size hooks. Rounded bottoms, no hooks escape the tight lid, and you can take out the little boxes when using that size hook and easily remove one at a time. Not nearly as compact a solution as the diamond bead storage boxes, and much more expensive, but much, much nicer and far, far more user friendly. They have bigger boxes that fit within the system for bigger stuff.

Feathers,furs.... Those still have me beat. Still using plastic baggies.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Not yet....

Edit; I have little bits of fuzz and stuff that I've had for many years. I might need it someday.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 09/08/21 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

hardyboy
Sport

Post by hardyboy »

I do but it has never stopped me from buying more.

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

Is there such a thing as having too much?

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

my small fly shop of materials. even more in a closet

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

"Ever Feel the Need to Reduce Your Fly Tying Material"

Man, you gotta stop this %^&*
You're giving me chest pain

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

I have tried a couple times to weed out stuff I thought I didn't need and almost every time...about 6 months down the road I go looking for something that I discarded so I have stopped that practice. I tie a bunch of stuff for a variety of species and locations...local warmwater (bass/bluegill/crappie)...local inshore saltwater (redfish, baby tarpon)...East Coast trout....West Coast/MT trout...plus special stuff for Alaska and South America. Plus I really enjoy tying new patterns even when the old standards generally work just fine.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Kinda like exercising . When I get that feeling, I lie down until the feeling goes away.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”