Pheasant Tail Parachute

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

bear-kodiak
Guide

Pheasant Tail Parachute

Post by bear-kodiak »

Good morning.
Had a lot of success with this fly this year and was wandering if anyone
else uses it? It was new to me as I only thought of it as a nymph pattern.....Jim

Ear4
Master Guide

Re: Pheasant Tail Parachute

Post by Ear4 »

I am not familiar with it. Can you post a picture of what you have been using? A quick internet search comes up with several different patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bear-kodiak
Guide

Post by bear-kodiak »

Same recipe as the nymph ie pheasant, tail , and body , copper wire rib, poly post
griz hackle. ....jim

Althehackleman
Guide

Post by Althehackleman »

I do indeed tie and fish this pattern. A good friend suggested betting pheasant tails dyed different colors and that made them even better. Dyed olive, yellow and tan allows these flies to copy many hatches now.

bear-kodiak
Guide

Post by bear-kodiak »

Here’s I made with a calf tail post...

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I use it a lot. When the fish are on it; it's incredible. When they aren't, well, it just gets wet. :)

Pat
P.S. I also tie Bead-head flashback Pheasant tail nymphs and Pheasant tail soft hackles. Both work well for me.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Makes sense it'd be a winner. I've often fished pheasant tails on top, like a dry/wet fly and done very well. You might also want to tie a parachute hare's ear. Who knows?--those two may cover the gamut.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”