SMALL BWO PATTERNS

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

greyreefer5
Guide

SMALL BWO PATTERNS

Post by greyreefer5 »

Where I live in Yellowstone Country, we have fairly lengthy and varied BWO hatches, Spring and Fall. Part of the enjoyment of our hobby is trying new patterns, improvising established ones, and maybe coming up with a new one. In filling up the boxes for Fall, one of my challenges has been tying a good emerger or dun pattern in smaller sizes ( #20-#26). Simply tying regular patterns in smaller sizes dosen't really work, as the materials for those seem out of proportion when tied under #20's. I would really appreciate hearing ( and seeing) from members here on patterns that they use in these size ranges. Many Thanks!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: SMALL BWO PATTERNS

Post by creakycane »

For a sharp-wing silhouette dun, I tie a no Hackle camparadun using barbs from dyed dun turkey body feathers like deer hair. In sizes 20 and 22, with a few 24s, on daiichi 135 scud hooks. Nothing fancy. When they want the sharp wing. Dress it with paste. Surprisingly durable and easy to tie....
If I do the same with cdc and hang a bit of polyyarn off the butt, it makes a great emerger or stillborn.
I’ve played with some of the cdc and Hackle patterns that come out of n California and other places in west, but probably my shortcom8ngs in tying make them look overdressed.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

My wife and I have used size 20 Baetis Sparkle Duns (BWOs) for years in Yellowstone country. Deer hair wing, short synthetic tail ("shuck"), and a bit of microfiber dubbing. Trigger Point fibers can be used for the wing if appropriate deer hair is not available.

Tim

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Size 22 BWO can't get and easier than this. Thread body,zelon tail CDC wing and dubbing for thorax. Has worked from Maine to California. I TIE them down to 26 which is what is happening now in the Catskills.

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Do have any opinion on CDC fibers vs. CDC "Puffs" ?

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

I tie a very similar pattern to upstate's BWO, except I prefer to use Daiichi 1110's.

As to the CDC fiber vs puffs question - IMO fibers float better, puffs are easier to work with in the small sizes.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Antonio's quill midge. Here in size 20. Instructions can be found on flyfishfood under dry fly tutorials. I've had really good success with it.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

CDC puffs are a huge waste of money in my opinion!!! The hook I prefer most for small fly patterns are any wide gap scud hook. If they were made 1xfine instead of 1x heavy they would be even better. Marinaro wide gaps are the best but have become unobtainium!!!

Tom

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

For sizes 24 and under, I don't believe you need much more than 3 or 4 hackle fibers or fibers of Antron yarn for a tail or shuck, an olive thread body in an appropriate shade, and a dun CDC wing, often a simple down wing for me. I like tiny puff feathers, but you can pull fibers, clump them and even the tips with your scissors if you like. I have taken some great fish with just the thread body and CDC wing too! The movement of the cdc in contact with the surface generally sells it.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Tiny, sparse, grey-bodied flymphs and soft hackles are hard to beat.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Renee Harrop floating BWO nymph.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

These have always worked great on big Slurpers. Just tail fibers, Olive body a bit of griz hackle and a CDC puff.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Great thread here, olives are my a favorite of all the hatches due largely to their size and color and my experiences in just some wonderful hatches. Of course it helps that the trout certainly enjoy them too.

I have had good success with cdc thorax duns in size 20 & 22 as a fairly simple tie.
One pattern that seems to be popular in smaller sizes that I have had very little success with is the RS2.
Silver doc, thanks for sharing, I tied some of those last night.

Bacchus_2
Guide

Post by Bacchus_2 »

This has been my best producing BWO pattern by far and pretty easy tie. CDL tail, Veevus 16/0 thread body, BRF zelon dubbing, and CDC…

Best of luck.

Don
There are times, I think, when a trout angler must prize what he catches with his eyes as much as what he firmly hooks. - H. Middleton

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Have been using this as emergent for years with good results.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”