CDC

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

CDC

Post by PYochim »

I used to dread tying with CDC but this year I have made my peace with it. I used a lot of it this year and when going over my logs, the majority of fish taken on dries have been on CDC patterns.

Ear4
Master Guide

Re: CDC

Post by Ear4 »

Beautiful flies. I feel like I am still finding my way thing with CDC but have a good deal of success fishing them.

Did you use puffs, fibers from the larger feathers cuts off the stem, or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

PYochim wrote:
09/19/21 09:45
... the majority of fish taken on dries have been on CDC patterns.
Of course ;-)

CDC&Elk and Petitjean 'Caddis' in my case

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Tied up a few CDC F-Flies flies using 2 CDC feathers on a #16 wire hook. Fished them on a brown Trout stream yesterday. Seem to drift nicely but hard to see on a sun dappled stream. Mine also seemed to sink in a bit of broken water and needed a lot of false casts and sometimes desiccate to get floating again. Do I need to use 4 or more CDC feathers to get a nice float?

Will tie up some emerges like the above, how many feathers are you using.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

There are three feathers on each fly. I haven't found an application for puffs yet.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Nice tie Paul. Fish catchers for sure! :)

Pat

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Pat, thanks.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i very seldom tie with cdc

its one and done

once it gets slimed its rendered sorta useless

at least for me

ymmv

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Paul,
That is essentially a Harrop Last Chance Cripple tied on a klinkhammer hook, and I love it! The LCC is one of my favorite slick water mayfly patterns, I tie em from #20 BWO up to #10 March Brown/Green Drake. I get the feeling that Renee Harrop knows a thing or two about slick water fly patterns. A shuck is a nice addition and would very much recommend a tiny hank of wood duck or moose body hair, or even amber zelon. The puffs from a duck are a bit small for anything but a wee little mayfly, but the Canada Goose puffs are IDEAL for the LCC.
Thanks for sharing your pattern...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

A few years back, when I was still able to fish the Henry's Fork 4=5 days a week, I would guess that 70% of the fish I caught were taken on a size 16 CDC & Elk . . . regardless of what was hatching or on the water at the time. The key IMO is in the motion the CDC imparts to the fly.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Eric, the CDC & Elk is next.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I tie a majority of my most effective flies with CDC and have for many years. I started with the material thirty years ago and then got some different ideas from some of the European tiers at the first or second Fly Tier's Symposium in Western, PA. I find more of our very pressured wild trout keying upon moving naturals during an emergence, whether heavy or sparse, and CDC offers great movement within the fly itself. I think it is quite easy to tie with, and I use puffs a lot.

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Norm Frechette wrote:
09/20/21 10:21
i very seldom tie with cdc

its one and done

once it gets slimed its rendered sorta useless

at least for me

ymmv
This was my opinion of CDC for a long time. CDC flies were reserved for picky trout that refused a more conventional pattern. I've come around, at least partially and will usually try a CDC and Elk as a searching pattern when no fish are rising, or when they're rising to something unidentifiable. It works often enough.

Having to change flies after every fish or two is the flyfisherman's version of a first world problem.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Breaking News! I tied up a few using CDC puffs. They are a little harder to work with but they seemed to float pretty well.

I also tied a CDC & Elk.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

PYochim wrote:
09/19/21 11:31
There are three feathers on each fly. I haven't found an application for puffs yet.

The only use for the puffs that I have found is on emergers that I have no expectations of "dry fly" floating. I fish them most often as trailers to a higher floating dry fly.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Here's an LCC with a shuck, a 20 I think, works great. As to floatability I've found that Loon Lochsa works great on CDC.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

They work well as a wing on ant patterns.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I have one trout that has been my nemesis and have a pattern shared with me by Caneghost that I think may be his undoing. So... I went online and ordered the materials needed. This was early last week. CDC from a shop in Missouri went to Nashville then to Fresno, Ca! I live in Central NY! CDC and hooks and the right color biots from Massachusetts went to New Hampshire and left a week ago from the distribution center in Nashua. "In transit" ???

It will be a learning curve for me tying with CDC but my hope is that all of the positive feedback here will prove fruitful for me IF I ever get the chance to have a go at it! I did catch a few on a BWO standard dry fly but the "picky" fish ignored it.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I take it there is no fly shop close enough to you to be convenient. Sounds like the kind of ring around the country shipping routes I saw last year in the heat of the crazy. I hope the fly does the deed when you finally get to tie it. While you are at it, tie a couple of cdc comparaduns too. Use the cdc puffs or bunches of fibers for the wing instead of deer hair.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I have both "oiler puffs" and feathers coming to experiment with. There is a shop in Syracuse, and I've frequented it over the years, and admittedly have gotten adverse to driving over there and have taken the route of laziness and convenience online - poor excuse, I know!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”