New Fly Box

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

New Fly Box

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Did you ever get a new box of flies that was just too damn pretty to take out on the stream and use? I bought the below three-level mahogany box on eBay stuffed full of English flies thinking I would use them and when I got it, it dawned on me that it looks more like a work of art than something to be used. So I think I'll keep it just to look at and admire the color and form of this work of fly tying art!

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: New Fly Box

Post by billems »

Congratulations on the find. I agree; it's kind of nice just to keep.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Cool box and flies. Someone put a lot of effort into that.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Yes, there is effort in that. There's part of someone's heart and soul in that package. What a great find for either fishing or display.
Nick

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

These wooden fly reservoirs are pretty popular in Great Britain both for trout flies and salmon flies. Richard Wheatley makes a very nice wooden fly box or reservoir. Here is an example of a wooden Wheatley box on top and another larger box below.

I made a couple of wooden fly boxes based on some of these wooden fly boxes from Great Britain. Some are single tiered while others are doubled tiered. I made these from Cherry, I was happy with the way they turned out.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Very nice john8!
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

That is a beauty. If you don't mind saying, what did you nab that for (cost).

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”