Classic or otherwise interesting flybox recomendation

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lupalupa
Guide

Classic or otherwise interesting flybox recomendation

Post by Lupalupa »

As winter is approaching and my involvement in this sport shifts from fishing into tying, I come to this forum with some suggestions to help with my winter tying project.

I find it very motivating to purchase a fancy new (to me) flybox to fill with the results of my winters toils. the past couple of years I have purchased a Wheately fly box for this effort, one year a double sided compartment fly box, and last year one side compartments and one side foam. I have been casually looking around for something interesting to fill that role this season. I have been looking at Wheatley's, but would be interested in something else fun and interesting. Extra consideration in something timeless or classic, either new or used would be considered with equal weighting.

For fun, and because I think this came out nice, below is a picture of last years project, in an almost finished state.

carl otto
Master Guide

Re: Classic or otherwise interesting flybox recomendation

Post by carl otto »

Wanigas can build you a cutom lightweight wood disply/storage fly box, any size and configuration, with open binn, or C & F slit foam, silicone slit or ?.

Very reasonable pricing.

Gorgeous eye candy and durable.

Carl

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Carl, do you have a web address for Wanigas?

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Kookie

Post by Kookie »

The old Hardy Neroda fly boxes are really nice and unique. The came in various colors, layouts, and different sizes. The original Neroda boxes may be difficult to find at a reasonable price these days, but they are very classy in my opinion.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Dutch fly boxes are an option worth checking out, sold by Blue Ribbon Flies. Some of the nicest I've ever seen, mine is a treasure.

https://www.blueribbonflies.com/shop-on ... tch-boxes/

-John
Last edited by BigTJ on 10/05/21 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Dave "Dutch" Schultz makes beautiful, unique boxes. Not cheap, but precisely made from fine woods, beautifully finished and light in weight. He's a former furniture maker. I think his only dealer is Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and a few also available at Henry's Fork Lodge in Island Park, ID.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I would agree with the Dutch box suggestions. I think they are the finest boxes ever made by human hands.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

If I ever lose mine in the river, I will cry. Like for 5 days.

John.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

BigTJ wrote:
10/05/21 13:49
That my friend is a very compelling argument.

john8
Guide

Post by john8 »

Wheatley use to make nice wooden fly reservoirs not sure if they still do, my dad had a couple and I picked one up for him from the Hardy Store at Pall Mall back in the early 1990s. I did make a few wooden fly boxes and used the Wheatley reservoirs I had as a guide, rather than using Mahogany I used Cherry. Here are a few pictures of some of the ones I made, I was able to get the same hardware (hinges and closures) that Wheatley used on their boxes.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Another vote for the Dave ("Dutch") Schultz boxes. I love mine and they are practical. Yes, you don't want to lose one!

Tim

Bob G
Guide

Post by Bob G »

The fly boxes made by Dave Schultz (Dutch) are masterpieces. Back in 1984 Dave gifted me a few of his boxes as going away presents when I retired as Director of Fenwick’s Montana Fly Fishing Schools. Paul Brown, Gary LaFontaine, Tom Webb, and Dave Schultz were my Schools’ all star Instructors. Dave’s boxes are keepsakes for the lifetime of a fly fisher.

Best, Bob

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

That’s a nice story Bob! John, it sounds like you may need a few more just in case :).

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

:Great point I need at least one more for “insurance” :rollin

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

I've made heirloom quality storage boxes for a spell. Desktop, not pocket sized. All using American hardwoods, mostly highly figured. Some have aromatic cedar dividers. The larger boxes, geared towards the saltwater crowd, have vintage nautical chart liners. It's an adjunct to my furniture business. More a labor of love than a profit center...

ImageIMG_3461 by Craig White, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0917 by Craig White, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0903 by Craig White, on Flickr

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I have 2 Dutch boxes, so lovely I barely use them, I have a very small one I use for dry flies when fishing for natives and a bigger one for storage. I also have a Japanese box made out of Bamboo that is really lovely too with slits that I use for dry flies.
I really like Altoids boxes which are really very handy and pretty thrifty too.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

One year I was in the Blue Ribbon shop and saw the Dutch fly boxes resplendent in their show cases, with their $180 to $450 price tags and gasp. They were pretty. They could be immproved upon. It set me to thinking. How could these be made better and at a more affordable cost. So I spent the winter in my shop figuring this out.

1) They had to be durable
2) They had to be beautifully made
3) They had to be functional, with options for interiors
4) They should be lightweight
5) They should be less than $100
6) Entirely made in the USA

The Wanigas fly boxes meet all these criteria. I serached for the finest AAAAA quality curly figured woods for the tops (becuase it looks like a stream) (walnut, cherry, maple, ash, pear, white oak, etc.). The sides are sequentially matched quarter sawn wood of the same species. The hinges handmade of African Blackwood, Ebony, Boxwood or Hornbeam with bronze hinge pins, the boxes are glued up with Titebond III and the corners reinforced. The clasp is a pair of high quality rare earth magnets for positive closure. The insides are a standard quartersawn Spanish Cedar eggcrate, or the option of C & F or silicone slit type fly holders. One can have the holder on one side or both sides (for nymphs). The tops can be inlaid with a high quality hand painted fish pin, TU pin, chapter pin, etc.. The tops are finihsed down to 0000 steelwool , oil finished and then wax polished.

The base box is $65.00 and a box in the most expensive wood (Hawaiin curly Koa) with a hand painted trout pin inlaid is $135.

PM me for a brochure.

Carl

P.S. They also make very nice jewelry boxes.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Carl, Those are nice.

Dutch Boxes can't be beat, everything about them is slick and well thought out, and yes the price is astounding.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

carl otto wrote:
10/10/21 08:48
One year I was in the Blue Ribbon shop and saw the Dutch fly boxes resplendent in their show cases, with their $180 to $450 price tags and gasp. They were pretty. They could be immproved upon. It set me to thinking. How could these be made better and at a more affordable cost. So I spent the winter in my shop figuring this out.

1) They had to be durable
2) They had to be beautifully made
3) They had to be functional, with options for interiors
4) They should be lightweight
5) They should be less than $100
6) Entirely made in the USA

The Wanigas fly boxes meet all these criteria. I serached for the finest AAAAA quality curly figured woods for the tops (becuase it looks like a stream) (walnut, cherry, maple, ash, pear, white oak, etc.). The sides are sequentially matched quarter sawn wood of the same species. The hinges handmade of African Blackwood, Ebony, Boxwood or Hornbeam with bronze hinge pins, the boxes are glued up with Titebond III and the corners reinforced. The clasp is a pair of high quality rare earth magnets for positive closure. The insides are a standard quartersawn Spanish Cedar eggcrate, or the option of C & F or silicone slit type fly holders. One can have the holder on one side or both sides (for nymphs). The tops can be inlaid with a high quality hand painted fish pin, TU pin, chapter pin, etc.. The tops are finihsed down to 0000 steelwool , oil finished and then wax polished.

The base box is $65.00 and a box in the most expensive wood (Hawaiin curly Koa) with a hand painted trout pin inlaid is $135.

PM me for a brochure.

That's a fine offering, Carl.
Carl

P.S. They also make very nice jewelry boxes.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

Thank you all for your responses to this thread, including those who shared their own custom work and hard labor. There is some significant talent present on this board.

I went ahead with a Wheately 1607F. I feel this is a pedestrian response as it was the same I did last year, but for my needs on fishing small wild trout streams in the North East, it really does fit the bill, and with lots of style.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”