Able Mable

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Able Mable

Post by ibookje »

Ed van Put is for sure a living legend. I love his book 'Trout fishing in the Catskills'.
Here is a recent interview with Ed on fishing the dry fly: https://www.thefloatingfly.com/ed-van-put

We exchanged some mails and flies this summer.
Ed sent me a patch of mink and some thread for ribbing the Able Mable, Ed’s signature fly.

Last edited by ibookje on 10/06/21 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

barebo
Master Guide

Re: Able Mable

Post by barebo »

Classic and beautiful fly - The Catskill "connection" with the link to Ed's interview is great - Thanks!

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Great stuff Thanks for sharing this. Have always enjoyed Ed's practical view of fly fishing. Thanks Bohemian Bob

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Ed is one of my two fly fishing heros. The other is George Harvey. There is a wonderful article on Ed in the book, "Secrets of the Fishing Pros." Helluva tier, too.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Very nice post and great looking dry fly... thanks...

Ed

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Nice looking fly Jay :)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

thefloatingfly.com is a treasure trove of dry fly secrets. It badly needs editing, but struggle on. Quite facinating. If you think a 12-foot leader is long, read what most of these guys use.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks guys!
For this fly I used brown (old Metz) and grizzly (old Hoffman) mixed. Usually I'd use Collins hackle but Collins' brown is very dark, almost coachman brown. I ordered a Collins dark ginger, hopefully it has a nice brown shade that's lighter than his regular brown. Barred hackles like barred ginger or cree doesn't give that popping mix of brown-ish and grizzly when wrapped, rather a washed out appearance. They look great on the hide though :)

Wonderful Able Mable and Adams tied by Ed himself:

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”