Conranch JV hen

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Conranch JV hen

Post by Bucktrout »

Hello Everyone,

Occasionally, I tie and fish a few flymphs. Many years ago I purchased a Conranch JV hen cape and liked the small size of the feathers. I’m looking to purchase a dark ginger hen cape and discovered that the company that purchased Conranch appears to be out of business.

What brand cape should I purchase to get some smaller feathers?

Thanks,
Eric

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Conranch JV hen

Post by BigTJ »

Lately I've been using the Swiss CDC multiclamp to "spin" soft hackles into a dubbing loop. You can use any sized hackle to tie any size of fly you want as long as the hackle is bigger than the fly you want to tie. I also do duck flank, deer hair, and squirrel hair collars. Just takes a bit of practice. Spend $44 on the clamp and your current hen capes turn into a lifetime supply for your entire fly range. Check it out here, 9:30 into the video:

https://www.flyfishfood.com/products/sw ... multiclamp

Try tying some of your flies with the hackle going forward instead of backward and also instead of a dead swing try occasional twitches. Flymphs do a phenomenal job of imitating insects which are struggling to get out of the film. If you don't twitch them you are catching at best 25% of the fish you could be.

Good luck,

-John

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Bucktrout wrote:
10/08/21 12:22
Hello Everyone,

Occasionally, I tie and fish a few flymphs. Many years ago I purchased a Conranch JV hen cape and liked the small size of the feathers. I’m looking to purchase a dark ginger hen cape and discovered that the company that purchased Conranch appears to be out of business.

Thanks,
Eric
I should have a few Conranch skins in my cache of dead birds. WIll have to look to see what I still have..

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

joaniebo wrote:
10/08/21 16:00
Bucktrout wrote:
10/08/21 12:22
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Eric
I should have a few Conranch skins in my cache of dead birds. WIll have to look to see what I still have..
Sent you a PM

Eric

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”