History of the Girdle Bug

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

History of the Girdle Bug

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I am wondering if one of my fellow Western FF fly tiers on this forum know the true history of the Girdle Bug. I rarely trust what I read on the Internet

I have read "Frank McGinnis of Anaconda, Montana is credited with developing the Girdle Bug, sometimes call a "McGinnis Rubber legs". The fly was first fished on the Big Hole River in the 1930's and 1940's."

Can anyone here verify this, and show me a McGinnis Rubber legs pattern?

Thank you,

John

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: History of the Girdle Bug

Post by Norm Frechette »

from a google search

The first rubber leg stone fly nymphs in this genre were tied with the rubber from a women’s’ girdle hence the name.

The Rubber legged girdle bug is one of Montana's legendary trout flies. Like so many flies I prefer these days, this version is simple to tie, and is very durable. It was designed to imitate large stonefly nymphs, hellgrammites, and craneflies. It was thought to have been first used by the local anglers on the Big Hole River. Lost in the murky currents of time however is the original name of the girdle bug.

Back in the 1930s and '40s, it was called the "McGinnis rubberlegs," after its creator, Frank McGinnis of Anaconda. The McGinnis clan plied the waters of the Big Hole often enough to call it their "family river." And Frank McGinnis' homely pattern gained fame far and wide for fooling the river's renowned lunker rainbows and browns.

And before you say its a "Pats Rubber Leg"

Notes: Pat's Rubberlegs is also known as Jimmy Legs, Knotty Girls, Restless Stone, The Turd, and The Pickle. "Pat" has been suggested to be a guide, Pat Bennett, that works out of the Hyde shop in Island Park, Idaho but this may be a ruse. Jimmy Legs is a variation from Idylwild Flies in which the legs are pre-knotted and tied on a bent hook, such as a Daiichi 1730. Knotty Girls also have knotted legs but they are usually round rubber material. Restless Stone is another name as marketed by Umpqua. Whatever the name, the pattern works quite well and has become a favorite among guides. The pattern is a variation off an older pattern known as the Girdle Bug. This pattern was developed in the 1930's by Frank McGinnis of Anaconda, MT. He developed this pattern while fishing the Big Hole River. Originally, round rubberlegs was used but a spandex rubber material such as Super Floss, Flex Floss, Life Flex, and Spanflex has become preferred over round rubberlegs. It is much more durable and transparent than rubberleg material and very supple with lifelike movement in the water. Mickey Wooton, a guide out of West Yellowstone, came up with a nice variation of trimming the chenille at the abdomen for a flattened taper and replaced the antennae and tails with Krystalflash and Goose Biots, respectively. Fish Pat's Rubberlegs in the riffles and runs of fast moving water. It also makes a great pattern for short line nymphing. The weight of the pattern allows it to quickly sink into deeps slots and pools. Great with a Beadhead dropper such as a Prince Nymph or Hare's Ear.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”