Fly Boxes

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

carl otto
Master Guide

Fly Boxes

Post by carl otto »

Thanks to so many for the interest on the boxes.

As a tease, these are just coming off the bench. The Curly White Oak is a pain to work, but the results are just spectacular. I have never seen white oak so curly(middle box first 2 pics). The last pic is select quartersawn curly cherry with a TU 50th anniversary pin inlaided.

The box sides are sequencially matched quartersawn wood of the same species. The insides are a variety; spanish cedar eggcrate, C&F slit foam, silicone slit and black velvet liner for gift jewelry boxes.

Our painted trout pins get rave reviews, and that is an original early 1960's bronze Trout Unlimited pin (Think fundraising banquets).

Think Chritsmas.

Carl @ Wanigas

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Boxes

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Those are gorgeous... beautiful work.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”