Do Any of You Tie With a Xuron Vise

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do Any of You Tie With a Xuron Vise

Post by jhuskey »

Regardless, the 20 LPI checkering is a nice touch.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I have a couple marked [decal] Thomas vises. Both different; One looks like the last posted vise, but with out the checkering. The other is a much lighter built vise with a thinner 'stem', and much smaller diameter actual vise, utilizing a simple C clamp, which has the checkered thumb screw on the clamp, but the stem is tapped into the C clamp with a wing nut to adjust it, which is what I mostly use to tie with.

Jay Edwards

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

For those who focus on detail, you might note that there are subtle differences between various Thomas vises, some of which carry over to the Xuron.
The photograph of Harry Darbee at his vise, together with his bookplate depicted below, show that with the c-clamp vise Mr. Darbee’s vise has the ball toward the front of the vise and the tightening clamp, with horizontal rod, toward the back. This is the same as the vise in the photograph below. Roy Steenrod’s vise, on the other hand, appears to show the ball toward the rear and the tightening clamp toward the front much the like the vises depicted in posts # 2 and # 19. And I have no idea if the Xuron was ever sold with a material clip for the stem.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I finally found one, and I love it. The hooks don't slip, lots of room underneath for winding. Nothing to break. And I love the retro style of it, and small act of rebellion.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”