soft hackles

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

poolhopping1
Guide

soft hackles

Post by poolhopping1 »

i have a bead head soft hackle pattern i tie using pheasant breast feathers which has been lucky for me but only takes a few fish before it becomes a no hackle fly. is this a common problem or is there a more durable feather. the flies don't unravel but the hackle breaks. thanks for any input cris

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: soft hackles

Post by bassman »

Not quite able to picture this. Where are the pheasant feathers? Body wrapped? Used as soft hackle?
You could try coating the body with a real light coat of UV but that might change the appearance to the trout. For me, if I had a fly that would catch trout but fall apart after just a few fish I'd tie and a dozen and get really fast at changing them out. The other option would be a fly that would last forever because it didn't catch any fish. :lol
Can we get a pic showing the fly and where it's breaking up or is it top secret?

Nick

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

I tie the wing in first by the tip with the stem facing over the hook eye. Then tie the rest of the body and stop a few turns before the head, or bead in your case. Wrap the hackle and then wind the thread forward through the hackle to secure it. This ties the hackle down in more than one spot. You have to wiggle or weave the thread through to keep from tying down the feather flues, but you'll get the hang of it.

Just my two. If this isnt clear, let me know.

JC

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

Actually I like cock pheasant breast feathers because they are robust and have nice markings. But then I usually distribution wrap the barbs rather than wind the stem.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Twisting hackle fibers in a dubbing loop with a Swiss cdc clamp and rotary twisting tool is by far the most durable way to make a soft hackle. It also allows you to make virtually any sized fly you want with any sized hackle (as long as the feather is a bigger size than the hook).

Check out the video in the link below for a how-to.

https://www.flyfishfood.com/products/s ... multiclamp

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Soft hackles generally, I have found, are not very durable. My Black Spiders hold up ok but I twist the hackle and thread together before I wrap the hackle.

There's one fly I tie, the Dark Needle, it calls for the hackle to be tied in, then wind the thread toward the bend, wrap the hackle, then carefully rock the thread back and forth weaving back toward the eye without crushing barbules and finish with a Magpie hurl head.

This fly holds up remarkably well, is really fun to tie and does well catching fish. I found out about it in one of my Oliver Edwards DVD's. You can tell he likes tying them also in how he describes the fly and how to tie it.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

BigTJ - that tool and video how-to is the nuts! Fragile and generally hard to manage materials become much easier to handle and wrap.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys The video is great. This is a time saver and quality improver I think. I want one.

Jay Edwards

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I got one of those Swiss tools about a year ago. Works pretty well! I stopped making traditional Elk Hair Caddis and just twirl the hair like the guy did in the video. I can really crank them out and I don't have to fuss getting the tippet through the eye on the stream in low light any more. I don't think missing the funky little Elk Hair Caddis head makes a difference.

The only drawback is price, but it is made very well.

poolhopping1
Guide

Post by poolhopping1 »

thanks for the replies. i agree the tool looks great but i think i will start by trying some less fragile feathers first and see if that works. cris

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

you can try this old method using any feathers fibers you wish, any thickness, any length.

1 tie fibers to the top of the shank (or encircle the shank)
2 add body
3 wind thread through fibers
4 pull back fibers and tie off

fast and strong

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

ted patlen wrote:
10/25/21 10:47
you can try this old method using any feathers fibers you wish, any thickness, any length.

1 tie fibers to the top of the shank (or encircle the shank)
2 add body
3 wind thread through fibers
4 pull back fibers and tie off

fast and strong

Yep. An advantage here is you can tie small flies with longer hackle by adjusting the fiber placement on the top of the hook.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I tie a lot of soft hackles and don't expect them to last too long. They're like shotgun shells, sometimes: one-and-done. I did enjoy that video about using that Swiss tool. It's a better design than the earlier ones.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Spinning the hackle in thread makes the fly quite durable. I hooked 10 and landed 6 on a # 18 BWO soft hackle on Sunday. It’s back in my box ready for more duty. Definitely not one and done.

John

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Might pick up a swiss tool one of these days but I use an old fashion metal binder clip. Seems to work well.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”