Steelhead Flies

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

orangescud
Sport

Steelhead Flies

Post by orangescud »

I like to swing a modified Pass Lake soft hackle for Great Lake steelhead. What flies are your favorites? Thanks in advance.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Steelhead Flies

Post by Norm Frechette »

orangescud
Sport

Post by orangescud »

Thank You Norm.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Amazing array of flies and most notably for me is the sparseness of materials unlike some of the more heavily dressed salmon flies I've seen. I had no idea that there were so many Steelhead specific flies and all beautifully tied of course! Having one each mounted in a nice frame would make a stunning display for a tying room or den.

MNJoe
Sport

Post by MNJoe »

I always loved Akroyd Dee fly and Spey fly, albeit I've always been challenged tying Spey flies well

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Greased liner. Deadly fly.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

I like tying and fishing spey-type patterns but hands down, the most productive fly I've used for Great Lakes steelhead is a bunny leech. Pretty it ain't, but it's easy and quick to tie, which makes a difference when you're fishing deep and slow in typical snag-filled GL tributaries and losing a lot of flies.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

MNJoe
Sport

Post by MNJoe »

In the NW, I swung a myriad of marabou flies with endless variations in materials to combine. It was pragmatic choice swinging deep and losing flies and one look at a fly's action in the water can say if fishy. But sometimes it's good to swing a classic fly just for the sake of it.

If really low flow in summer, I always gravitated to swinging a buggy undertaker

Joe

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I prefer tying and fishing Speys and Dees, but the last one below in size 6 takes more west coast steelies for me.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

A green butt spayed skunk fly - cool! :D

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

A recent swap on a different board gave 7 of us this bunch to put into our steelhead box. Since we were each doing two flies if you look in the center you'll see a #6 Perdigon to add a little variety. The fly just above is mine also. The heavy nymph design is to get down quick in those deep runs where I've taken many chromers in the past up north on Lake Superior streams. I will admit as I have before most of the fish we caught were just on a couple of tufts of yard tucked under a snelled #4 Mustad and trimmed to egg shape.

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

I fish syd glasso spey flies

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I have been experimenting with what I call 'shrouded keel' flies- bright feathers covered in mobile and sombre Silver Fox tail, encircled by single pheasant tail fibres. These size 6.

Malcolm

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

bassman wrote:
11/04/21 22:02
I will admit as I have before most of the fish we caught were just on a couple of tufts of yard tucked under a snelled #4 Mustad and trimmed to egg shape.
That. Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead isn't a classic experience for the most part--when the weather's nice it can get crowded and you get a front-row seat to combat fishing--so you want to go when the weather totally sucks, when it's snowing and sleeting, and the fish are hugging the bottom and in no hurry to go anywhere or chase anything. So eggs and Bunny Leeches (as suggested), and similar flies are the way to go.

bb

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”