Regal Revolution Vise?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Regal Revolution Vise?

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Last night I was cranking out my super-duper, special version of the Girdle Bug to send to a couple of northern Wisco friends for Christmas as a surprise gift. I was using 1-1/2" long, heavy streamer hook which puts extra pressure on the vise jaws. I heard a pop and then I noticed I chipped the jaws. I admit, definitely pilot error.

It is a Regal swivel head (regular jaws) that is10+ years old. For $50 I will send it in to get new jaws. I also have a 35+ old regular Regal vise that had its jaws replaced several years ago, but it is up at the lake.

While out doing lawn chores today, I started to think what about also getting a Regal Revolution Vise Head, Body & Short Stem to fit my Regal base. I love fly tying and adding a third Regal vise is justified since my dear wife has more boots and shoes than anyone can possibly wear.

Since I have never used a Regal Revolution rotary vise, I would like feedback from any fly tiers who use a Regal Revolution Rotary Vise (regular jaws).

Note: I am not interested in any other brands, just Regal.

Thank you,

John

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Regal Revolution Vise?

Post by BigTJ »

I am a recent rotary vise convert and could not live without one. That being said, as a big fan of Regal vises and having tied on them since the 80’s, the regal revolution is the last rotary vise I’d buy. Long story short it’s the worst rotary set up feature and capability wise in higher end vises. But I’d still rather have one than not having a rotary vise at all.

My regal medallion vise is now used for prepping - tying beads and underbodies. And for travel. All the rest of my tying is done on a Dyna King Excalibur which is head and shoulders above the regal revolution for rotary tying. Has to do with the 90 degree handle and adjustments as well as the superior bobbin cradle.

Good luck,

John

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I have had a Regal for twenty five plus years. Had the jaw replaced once like you for a chipped jaw. Repaired as new by Regal for a nominal fee. I would never give it up. After that I purchased a rotary head with midge jaws. Wish I had gotten it years ago. Awesome. Love the 360 degree advantage.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

WiFlyFisher wrote:
11/20/21 17:30

I love fly tying and adding a third Regal vise is justified since my dear wife has more boots and shoes than anyone can possibly wear
I have learned so much from this site, visit a few time per day, and simply am inspired by the talents, knowledge, and insight of members. The above will surely get put to good use - can’t thank you enough! I see a very Merry Christmas ( for myself at least...)!

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Thanks for the feedback.

I will never switch from Regal. Regal vises work and I like their simplicity.

Like I mentioned above I have two Regals. The one at the lake is stationary, not rotation and I used it for many, many years. I chipped that one too about 10 years ago and sent it back to Regal for new jaws ($40 then).

The Regal Medallion I use now at home does rotate 360 degrees but is not a true rotary vise. That is the vise I just chipped, and I will be sending back to Regal to get repaired, I already downloaded the Regal repair form.

Maybe I will use my old Thompson B vise while waiting for the Regal jaws to be replaced. I remember when I bought it eons ago and I thought it was the greatest thing in my youth. I eventually I plan to give away my Thompson B vise to some new. young person learning to tie flies. I gave away my old Thompson A vise the past Summer.

John

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I suggest you tie on a full rotary before you buy. When the Renzetti's were new and all the rage I tried one and really did not care for the whole concept. I had been tying for a few years by then and felt like I would have to re-learn my methods to make use of the feature. I do insist upon a basic rotary head that can be turned from side to side, etc. as opposed to the full rotary spin the hook on it's axis style. When I tied commercially back in those days, I tied on a Regal. I too had jaws chip over the years and set them aside for some time, tying on a Dyna King Squire and a Kingfisher I bought for my travel kit. I finally sent my old chipped midge head back and got the new stainless steel jaws from Regal. It is once again my day to day vise and the SS head and finer jaws are a big improvement. Averaging around 150 dozen flies a year since retiring here in the Catskills.

Full rotary ain't for everyone and, if it is for you, I would wager the Renzetti or Dyna King rotaries would be a better choice. I never thought spinning that big heavy Regal head was a winning design.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

I bought one last year (or was it '19?) to replace my Medallion. No reason other than I thought it was kinda cool, and had some money to spend. I don't really tie using the rotary feature, so I can't comment on that. I pretty much use it just like I did my Medallion. It is a beautiful piece, and I love it.
I think to really get the benefit of the rotary feature, you must keep the head horizontal, which feels odd to me - so I have it set just like my Medallion.
Mike B

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

You nailed it. The vise isn’t a true rotary with the head angled up while in rotary mode. The best rotary vises allow you to adjust the hook so it rotates exactly on itself - mirror image all the way around. Since the head is flat for rotary mode on the revolution it’s about as “in the way” as it can practically be. The reality is that revolution is really just a more expensive non-rotary IMO.

There is a great video on YouTube by Al Beatty that shows what the DynaKing indexer can do. As a 35 year Regal user who swore I’d never use another vise once I saw that video it blew my mind. Been using my Excalibur for 6 months now - wished I had made the change 20 years ago.

John
Last edited by BigTJ on 11/21/21 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Thanks, for all the feedback. After reading some of the remarks above, I will stick with the Regal Medallion swivel. After 50+ years of fly tying I am to set in my ways to change to a real rotary vise.

Thanks again.

John

Fcs
Guide

Post by Fcs »

I like your logic about the wife’s shoes. Good to feel I’m not alone in my thought process.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I ordered a new Medallion head from JSFlyFishing ($129) to get me by while I send in the other Regal head to get repaired. I have a chapter TU class in December to teach, so I need a vise. Since I don't watch TV, tying and reading books are my two evening pastimes.

Thanks for all the feedback.

John

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

WiFlyFisher wrote:
11/21/21 12:29
I ordered a new Medallion head from JSFlyFishing ($129) to get me by while I send in the other Regal head to get repaired. I have a chapter TU class in December to teach, so I need a vise. Since I don't watch TV, tying and reading books are my two evening pastimes.

Thanks for all the feedback.

John
Good for you 'cause you're not missing a thing on TV. :)

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

Hellmtflies wrote:
11/21/21 18:12
Good for you 'cause you're not missing a thing on TV. :)
I do not care for TV, the movies, or sports as of the past 10 years. I also do not care for the binge aspect of now consuming media from streaming services.

With that said, I very rarely ever get any pop culture reference. It makes it awkward in the workplace. Although the rare times I get the reference, it is to everyone's joy, and that becomes a reason to rib me for a week.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”