Deer Hair Drakes

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Deer Hair Drakes

Post by Silver Doctor »

A couple of years ago I started trying this deer hair, Drake. Liked the extended body as it really seemed to perk interest from Browns and Cutties. Seems to copy the Slate and Brown drakes we have up here in Alberta. Even a good choice during hopper season as it gests explosive responses in spring creeks.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Deer Hair Drakes

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

stecal

Post by stecal »

neat. I'd like to see tying instructions. is that the same piece of deer hair from the tail all the way to the wing?

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Very nice.

I tie similar but with a comparadun wing, instead of parachute style.

John

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I tie the deer hair wing in first, then the body deer hair extended, the hackle stem, add a bit of dubbing around the front, wind and tie off teh hackle, and you're done. Sits nice and low in the water.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”