Materials

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Materials

Post by Norm Frechette »

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner and experienced tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

I tried and tried to tie a winged wet fly using duck wing quill slips using the crappy quality wings I had and just couldnt get it right. after 5 attempts i just gave up

the wings were matched (left and right) but definately not from the same bird. they might as well have been the shitty feathers from the craft store

off to the fly shop in either massachusettes or new hampshire to inspect some duck/goose wing feathers. 
Last edited by Titelines on 11/26/21 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to take out vulgarity not allowed by forum rules

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Materials

Post by Silver Doctor »

You are right, good slips make a huge difference and the thickness of the slips often is different if not taken from the same bird. Always mirror the feathers.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I tell you what I did I contacted a duck hunter and asked him to keep some wings for me. I would pay him $3.00 a pair but they had to come from the same bird. He did and I paid.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i dont know anybody that hunts so i couldnt do that

i'm looking for dyed colors and a full matched pair of wings in red, yelloe etc is going to be nearly impossible to find

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Try dyed goose shoulder feathers - readily available and can be used for matched wings.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I second Nelson's suggestion. I use Nature's Spirit select goose shoulder. Mostly yellow. Works great for Logies:
Gary

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”