Brown Owl*

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

EmergingFisher

Brown Owl*

Post by EmergingFisher »

*brown partridge, not owl, of course

Dwight
Guide

Re: Brown Owl*

Post by Dwight »

That’s a beautiful soft hackle! The partridge feather you chose is a close match to brown owl. Did you bleach it?

EmergingFisher

Post by EmergingFisher »

Just a bag of brown Hungarian partridge feathers I came across. They are pretty nice

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

A number of years ago I was making a delivery to Chicago from St Louis. I still had my own business and was delivering a piece of custom furniture. As always was the case I was on a tight deadline. On the highway in the median strip I noticed a large dead bird. It was winter so the weather was cold. I didn’t have time to stop but told my helper I would try to remember to stop on the way back and took notice of the mile marker. By the time I made the delivery and finished the installation it was late in the day so we were driving back in the dark. I almost forgot but when we got close to the mile marker I remembered and pulled off the road. I found the bird and put it in the back of the truck. It turned out to be a very large barred owl. Although it had a plethora of beautiful feathers I was quickly warned by a number of friends that if I was caught with the owl I would get a large fine. So I ended up burying it in the back yard. I remember the wing span was more than three feet and I did have my wife take a picture of me holding it before I buried it but the picture is long gone.
Last edited by bamboo rodley on 12/16/21 21:10, edited 2 times in total.

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Wow, that was a lot of bird!

Tight Lines- Ken

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Walt

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

These Great Horned Owls drop feathers all Summer in our neighborhood - gone now driven off by their parents - It's mating season for Mom and Dad.
The molted feathers are beautiful, and I'm sure would produce flies fish would admire.

Last edited by jhuskey on 12/27/21 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

EmergingFisher

Post by EmergingFisher »

I get a lot of my tying and fishing materials from estate sales. Which leads to interesting finds. One lot of feathers was pretty solid. Got home and pulled out the full skin that was in there to see what it was. Turned out it was an owl. Quickly disposed of, unfortunately.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”