Backpacking Frying Pan

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Holland
Master Guide

Re: Backpacking Frying Pan

Post by Holland »

tunafart, I thought the same thing!

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

I like and have used the Banks Fry-Bake Alpine model . Made in America and works great for all kinds of meals. Also light weight and easy to clean. Not very expensive , I bought a set of cosmetic seconds for $54 from the Banks Fry Bake Company. Put a little twiggy fire on the top and you have a dutch oven

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

These look nifty with the folding handle.
https://www.rei.com/product/128857/gsi- ... y-pan-8-in

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

It’s been a lot of years, but I did cook a lot of fish in the lid of my old Sigg Tourist cook kit. You guys remember those?

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Oh yeah -- 1970s backpacking stuff. The frying pan and saucepot nestled together. Great stuff!

--Rich

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I still have two Sigg Tourist kits! One is aluminum and the other stainless. They were great in their day but with the coming of lighter and more efficient stoves and in-the-pouch meals I don't use them much anymore.

Where I go backpacking and fly fishing in the Smokies I carry a newer very light weight stove that runs on butane and a separate pot and a Fry-bake Alpine frying pan for the occasional stream-side trout. They also take up less space than the old Sigg Tourist kit.

If the conditions permit, I will build a fire and cook the trout in heavy weight aluminum foil right on the coals.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Brooks wrote:It’s been a lot of years, but I did cook a lot of fish in the lid of my old Sigg Tourist cook kit. You guys remember those?
Why yes, I do! Another vice of mine, collecting vintage white gas and kerosene backpack stoves. I still use em a lot for elaborate fishing lunches. Work in any weather, no canister waste, and some pretty nifty craftsmanship. What's not to like?

Pic from last winter, streamside.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

That Sigg kit is in great shape. Maybe just because I’m old and sentimental about the great days of backpacking in the 70’s , but that gear just had more soul in my opinion. I still have a down bag from ‘72, several pair of my old Galibier hiking and climbing boots, and I have quite the pile of stoves also. Good stuff, thanks for the photo!

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Yep, I used the Sigg kit in the late 70s when I was a back country ranger in both Sequoia NP and Yellowstone NP. Worked fine for me until one morning for some reason my Svea stove exploded and sent the burner high into the air. My wife and I have invested in the latest, greatest ultra light back packing equipment for the last few years. I think her base weight for her pack is about 6 lbs fully loaded without food and water. Last time I was in the Beartooths, I believe my pack was 21 lbs total with food and water (I carried some luxuries like a folding chair and a full size toothbrush). Luckily lots of water in the Beartooths and didn't have to carry more that a couple of quarts at a time. Far change from my 40+ lb pack as a ranger. Luckily I was a much younger man then. Got to tell you though, golden trout from a high mountain lake make a great meal for a hungry young man. Sigg kit rattled around for quite a few years but ended up in the local thrift shop. Now I am sold on the Banks Fry-Bake pan. Very versatile. Also tried out Flat Cat Gear and made some "epic meals at awesome places". I think I am going to get the Lodge carbon steel skillet mentioned earlier in this thread for car camping. Bon appetite!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”