Grinding coffee beans

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

48x20
Guide

Re: Grinding coffee beans

Post by 48x20 »

Chased-Tell a little more about that grinder and why you like that particular model, (I'd like to add to the conversation about burr grinders - out all all of my coffee purchases, a quality burr grinder has been my best investment (specifically the Lido ET). Thanks.

specialk
Sport

Post by specialk »

I'm about ready for a new burr grinder. What do you guys use and like? I have a Krups that has been good but it's not performing well these days. And my kids and wife are always on me about how loud it is. Let's hear about which you prefer and why.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

This is an old thread that hung around for awhile. I travel in a truck camper so space is limited. I also like to have a cup and grind my own beans. Recently I bought a burr grinder from Black Rifle Coffee Company as the unit I have now is works well but it's a bear to use. This new unit is so smooth and has plenty of heft to get the job done.
They are not on their site right as I must have gotten the last one. I contacted the company and they will be listing it again. Also it's made in the USA.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

BrownBear wrote:
Heddon20 wrote:Another Costco brand worth trying is the Kirkland Costa Rica coffee beans. It's a dark roast blend and it's REALLY GOOD! It might be our favorite coffee now. A 3 pound bag costs less than $18. Can't go wrong with that.
Good reco. Thanks! We're building a Costco list right now.

It's been out of stock or whatever for the last several months. Maybe it's a seasonal item? If they do bring it back in time for the holidays, I'll be sure to stock up!

That's my biggest beef with Costco. So many of their items fall into the "here today, gone tomorrow" category.
Brian

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

My local Costco, Tempe AZ, had the Kirkland Costa Rica coffee beans in stock as of a week ago. You can order it from the online store as it always seems to be in stock. Once my supply of Summer Moon coffee is gone, I am going to try the Costa Rica beans. I will still order Summer Moon but this will be a change.
Burr grinder set to give me a grind in betwen a medium and a coarse grind. I know that is akin to trying to describing the color of dubbing for a Hendrickson dry but I like a coarser grind.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Red64 wrote:My local Costco, Tempe AZ, had the Kirkland Costa Rica coffee beans in stock as of a week ago. You can order it from the online store as it always seems to be in stock. Once my supply of Summer Moon coffee is gone, I am going to try the Costa Rica beans. I will still order Summer Moon but this will be a change.
Burr grinder set to give me a grind in betwen a medium and a coarse grind. I know that is akin to trying to describing the color of dubbing for a Hendrickson dry but I like a coarser grind.
Awesome! I'll have to order it once our bag of kirkland columbian supremo is about gone.
Brian

udiablo
Sport

Post by udiablo »

?? no Kopi Luwak, no Jamaica Blue Mountain ??

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

Costco in Bozeman had SF Bay Coffee organic Rain Forest Blend last time I was in. Makes a good cup of Joe
Also received as a gift some Santa Cruz Coffee fair trade organic Guatemalan Tajumulco. Santa Cruz Cofffee Roasters use a a continuous pass of hot air through a chamber of coffee beans in a small-batch roasting process. great cup of Joe.

sara08

Post by sara08 »

WiFlyFisher wrote:At Christmas I bought myself an electric coffee grinding machine. My wife and I have been enjoying ground coffee every morning since then.

What I am wondering is there certain brands of coffee beans you would recommend that you feel have better flavor than others you have tried?

Thanks,

John
I have found a good review on coffee grinders, I have one of them, found it on jonsguide reviews

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Here’s an interesting one we just got in (daughter goes to college there.)

http://lucyjoscoffee.com/

Family business, low acid coffee.

Buddy of mine roasts his own, says burr grinder is the only way to go.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

The every day grind.... with 50s vintage Sunbeam automatic toaster for good measure

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

I keep two grinders around=one for spices and one for coffee. Also have three mortaros (mortars and pestles) for seeds like coriander and caraway seeds.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

My small collection of coffee grinders ...

This works but a bit too labor intensive for my lazy nature...

A classic but are getting rather expensive and delegated to decorative purposes.

And the bomb for everyday use... no longer manufactured by kitchen aid - picked up in a box lot with another grinder/latte machine for the price of a leader $4.00 at a recent auction. Also a fan of Trader Joe’s beans.

Grinding flavored beans is subject to murder!

Last edited by Salar4me on 01/18/21 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Got a new Cuisinart brewer and still using my old Cuisinart burr grinder. Am extremely pleased with what they do with my Sam's Club Colombian beans. Best setup I've had in a few years.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

We bought a Baratza Encore about six months ago. It is an excellent grinder (burr mill), and moderately priced. Was roasting my own beans for quite a while, but haven't been lately. We were buying from Dean's Beans, lately it has been TJ's Organic Five Country Espresso Blend. Will probably go back to roasting again when things get back to more normal. Love the way the roasting beans make the kitchen smell. Merry Christmas everyone.

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

Salar4me wrote:
12/23/20 09:07
My small collection of coffee grinders ...

This works but a bit too labor intensive for my lazy nature...

How hard is it to find a wall hung coffee grinder. I was looking for one for nostalgic reasons. My grandmother used one with 8 o'clock beans. I was pre-coffee drinking age when her estate was sold off. She had a grinder mounted in the pantry and a backup mounted in the basement as well.

These days I just buy pre-ground. It is a compromise with the household on counterspace and morning noise.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Found the wall hung grinder in an antique store - see them frequently at auctions - also eBay - etc. With anything semi collectible - prices vary greatly from a few $ to a few hundred -

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Baratza burr grinder--I held out buying a burr grinder for a long time due to the cost. Big mistake. These things make much better coffee and, most significantly, the cup tastes the same every time!

As for coffee, you all need to try Speckled Ax. Roasted in a wood fire roaster right here in Maine. The owner of the company is also a fly fisher who has been know to fish bamboo. Great stuff.

I have no personal stake or affiliation other than I like the coffee and Matt's a good guy.

https://speckledax.com

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

We grind ours, and favor Ethiopian or Sumatran - Sumatran being my first pick. We generally get beans from Starbucks and a small place in town that does their own roasting.

HexaMaineiac
Master Guide

Post by HexaMaineiac »

I was privileged to see Matt roast his beans in his wood-fired roaster. It was a real olfactory treat. He also helped me realize that the dark roasts I had preferred eliminated some of the subtler flavors that are present in good coffee beans. Speckled Axe's Bird Dog is my go to coffee. Also, lighter roasts have more caffeine.
I actually first met Matt on the river, I wanted to see what that heavy fish that gentleman was landing on his bamboo rod- sad to say it was a really big sucker!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”