Grinding coffee beans

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

Re: Grinding coffee beans

Post by lloyd3 »

I'm a Costco bean man for the simple convenience of it (cost is a factor too). I've read about the "burr" grinders and might try one someday, but for now my humble little Krups blade-grinder seems just fine. The "pour-over" makers are clearly intriguing as well, but the Black & Decker drip unit on our counter is serving nicely. Those Ethiopian beans do sound interesting...however.

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

I’ve been grinding coffee beans for 28 yrs.
My suggestions;
Grind only enough beans for a day or two usage.
The darker and oilier the bean, the better.
Refrigerate your water.

Best, D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Or....buy a coffee maker that grinds them for you. I wouldn't (because they're guaranteed to have problems near-term, not long-term) but they are now commonly available. I do like fresh ground, so I grind just enough for every pot, quickly & efficiently in my low-tech (& low-cost) blade grinder. For me, it's usually a time and energy issue and I'm just not willing to fuss over it more than necessary to get a decent cup of Joe. But, like most things in life, coffee is another thing where you get out of it what you put into it.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Adamsdry wrote:I’ve been grinding coffee beans for 28 yrs.
Grind only enough beans for a day or two usage.
This, in spades!! I grind for every cup I brew, no question.

More important than spittin' on a knot!!!

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

canerodscom wrote:solo8232000 Nathan,

Never realized you were in Louisiana. Give me a yell sometime.
Yes sir...Moved back home after I got out of the Seabees..actually after I got out of the USMC in 1973..but it was not popular to be an RVN veteran so I had to go back into the Seabees to clean up my resume' and become socially acceptable again..I live between Leesville and Natchitoches..was back in the woods..so far back in the woods our satellite tv signal is 2 days old when we get it!!

PC

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

solo8232000 wrote:
canerodscom wrote:solo8232000 Nathan,

Never realized you were in Louisiana. Give me a yell sometime.
Yes sir...Moved back home after I got out of the Seabees..actually after I got out of the USMC in 1973..but it was not popular to be an RVN veteran so I had to go back into the Seabees to clean up my resume' and become socially acceptable again..I live between Leesville and Natchitoches..was back in the woods..so far back in the woods our satellite tv signal is 2 days old when we get it!!

PC
cool PC

Say hello to Chuck Dowden for me sometime. We have a place in Red River parish north of Coushatta. You’ll have to come fish with me someday. Nice panfish water.

My shop is in NE Louisiana. Coffee pot can be ready in a few minutes

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

I like Ethiopian and Costa Rican beans for my coffee, I’ve purchased green beans from Sweet Maria’s and did it old school using my cast iron skillet on my Weber Q then roasted to either the 2nd or 3rd crack depending on what I want for the outcome then using a colander to separate the chaf from the beans and once cooled I place them in a sealed container for 3 days minimum to allow the gases to escape then grind them in my Rancilio Rocky burr grinder which has processed well over 100 lbs of beans which I have the number settings assigned for individual beans for use in K-pods in my Keurig, drip setting for my pour over, French Press setting and of course one for my espresso addiction.

I like Trader Joe’s Ethiopian medium roast beans, Bird Dog beans from Matt’s Coffee out of Pownal ME, Italian Roast from Peet’s buying direct and not from the grocery store where you can’t tell how old the beans are, same with Seattle’s Best the other I like is from here in town from Anthony’s Coffee.

A blade grinder is ok if all you ever do is make coffee in a Mr Coffee style system where it’s not critical or your palate can’t distinguish the nuances you get from a very good burr grinder but nothing beats a well crafted cup of coffee especially when you drink it black with no sweetener.
banjo

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

I've been using a AeroPress when I have the time. A neat gizmo for pressing coffee and made by the company that makes Aerobee flying disks. I especially like it when camping.

I usually buy starbucks or Pete's at the grocery store, but I've been buying ground for the convenience.

BobM
Guide

Post by BobM »

There is no '3rd crack' in coffee roasting. You would be well carbonized.

Chased
Guide

Post by Chased »

Circling back around here. Just got a new batch of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Gr1 Natural Banko Fuafuate beans in from SW Roasting. Not sure what sort of magic they have going on there, but it's great! I'd like to add to the conversation about burr grinders - out all all of my coffee purchases, a quality burr grinder has been my best investment (specifically the Lido ET). You can really dial in your cup with a quality burr grinder, electric or manual. Not exactly cheap, but worth every penny (to me).

Ed Pirie
Guide

Post by Ed Pirie »

I started out using Green Mountain Coffee Roasters beans and later switched to Vermont Coffee Company out of Middlebury, Vermont. I am not an expert at this, just somebody that likes a good cup of coffee. I would also suggest not grinding more than you need at the time. I am still using a blade grinder so the talk of burr grinders is interesting. I will have to think about an upgrade.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Just used my blade grinder for this morning's pot. If you learn the timing necessary to get the job done and not overdo it, blade grinders seem to work just fine. Or...maybe my tastes are just too unsophisticated to discern the subtle differences? I did just get a big bag of Costco's version of Ethiopian beans the other day. Looking forward to trying them.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

fishnbanjo wrote:A blade grinder is ok if all you ever do is make coffee in a Mr Coffee style system where it’s not critical or your palate can’t distinguish the nuances you get from a very good burr grinder ...
Well, even setting the tast issue aside, a blade grinder is useless if you use a French press for making your coffee - since the size distribution of the ground coffee particles is way to wide for a French press - too many large chunks which will not deliver their solubles sufficiently (surface/volume ratio thing), and too much powder that will slip through the mesh and give you a cup full of dregs...

Even a cheap Hario hand grinder will provide much better results.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

I purchase coffee from “Birds and Beans”. The “Scarlet Tanager” roast is my favorite. This coffee is Smithsonian certified “Bird Friendly”. Great tasting coffee, enviromentaly sound, and at the cost of Starbucks.

CJMcK
Sport

Post by CJMcK »

I’ll put a second on the Aeropress. I have been using it for years (2 or 3 used up by now; they don’t last very long). It makes a great cup and is so simple and portable.

If you haven’t already, try making cold brew. Start with 1 part-by-weight coarse ground beans to 10 parts good water in a mason jar on the counter. Let it sit 12-24 hr and filter through whatever you have. Tweak recipe from there. Heat just enough in the microwave or drink cold. It will make your life better.

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

i get the beans from a local roaster -

and being a Parker double gun guy - i use a Parker grinder- it gives a good course grind for a french press

"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

This little guy travels well and grinds like a champ!
The grinding winder at top fits into the slot on the side.
It is gorgeous to boot and worth a tiny bit as an antique.
Nickel silver plated brass - its a Pe Pe Dienes single service coffee grinder.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Brian,

That right there is one fine little piece of very usable eqpt. I'm jealous. I love the older stuffs like this and since she still works well it double-good!!

Good for you. I hope she serves you well for many a'year...

Jeremy. - nice table-top too!

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

I hand pour a Chemex with Peets Major Dickason as the every day grind. Some good local stuff for special occasions and weekends

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Just tried a new (to us) coffee. It's Mayorga Cafe Cubano dark roast. It's 100% organic, USDA Organic certified, Non GMO verified. Right up there with almost any dark roast I've tried at any price. Best news, it's at Costco at $13 for a 2# bag. Gonna swing by and grab more before Costco moves on to something else, for sure.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”