Turn your Kettle grill into a smoker

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Swamprat
Sport

Turn your Kettle grill into a smoker

Post by Swamprat »

Hi All,
Any other "Slow and Sear" fans out there? I bought one towards the end of last summer and love it. It splits the grill into two sections, one for smoking and one for searing. I have seen a bunch of DIY videos on doing this with stacked fire bricks, water pans and whatever else but this company and their products make it super easy. Here is an introductory video, turn your speakers down.
https://youtu.be/YctEIFigx6I

Here is a picture of some smoked ribs I did.

pontiac787
Guide

Re: Turn your Kettle grill into a smoker

Post by pontiac787 »

I’ve been eyeing one for a couple of years. I made my own setup with a cut down pizza tray and a bread loaf pan as the water reservoir. I really like how the slow n seat contains the charcoal and protects the side of the grill though.

Swamprat
Sport

Post by Swamprat »

pontiac787 wrote:I’ve been eyeing one for a couple of years. I made my own setup with a cut down pizza tray and a bread loaf pan as the water reservoir. I really like how the slow n seat contains the charcoal and protects the side of the grill though.
Hi Pontiac787, nice to meet you.....I tried a few of the diy ideas myself but none of them really did a good job of keeping the direct heat from sneaking across to the meat side and a few times the charcoal went out unless I punched holes in the bottom of the charcoal holding material or pan I was using. The "slow and sear" has a grate on the bottom so as the charcoal burns down the ash falls out on it's own so all you have to do is add charcoal and wood as you're cooking.
Also, the water channel comes all the way up to the cooking grate from front to back, top to bottom keeping the direct heat away from the meat and is easy to refill as you're cooking. It's also really well engineered to fit and doesn't take up any extra room. It will hold temperatures steady for a really long time, you light it in the corner and it burns it's way across and down so well.
Glenn

huntschool
Guide

Post by huntschool »

Whats that red stuff all over the top of your ribs...... doesn't look like good Memphis dry rub to me..... Oh wait..... Your from NYC, so is that pizza sauce ..... LOL.... just having a bit of fun with ya....

We do ours dry rub with some mop work and serve with a vinegar (Red/orange colored) sauce. Killer....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III

Swamprat
Sport

Post by Swamprat »

huntschool wrote:Whats that red stuff all over the top of your ribs...... doesn't look like good Memphis dry rub to me..... Oh wait..... Your from NYC, so is that pizza sauce ..... LOL.... just having a bit of fun with ya....

We do ours dry rub with some mop work and serve with a vinegar (Red/orange colored) sauce. Killer....
:rollin HAHAHAHA Nice to meet you huntschool. I was waiting for someone to ask about that!! My wife actually took the picture after I applied the sauce but before I mopped it. Not a true Memphis style sauce but not out of a jar either it's ketchup, mustard, honey, brown sugar, chopped garlic, chili powder and butter heated in a saucepan.....not bad for a city slicker don't you think :P

huntschool
Guide

Post by huntschool »

Just so ya know, I grew up right across the GW Bridge and up the Palisades Pkwy just a bit in the very NE corner of Bergen Co. Family has been there since mid 1600's.

As a teenager "the city" was my playground......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

Yes, I’ve been using the slow n sear for a few years. It is a fine product and does make a smoker out of a Weber charcoal grill. The end product can be quite good, although the thin metal of a Weber makes for difficulty at time maintaining temps. Wind and humidity all can affect it. If you have the time and ability to stay close to the smoker to baby it, it does a great job.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

How is that any better than using a simple side rail from weber (see link to one on Amazon). This keeps the charcoal and wood to the side in the same manner. Water can be put into a disposable pan under the meat to provide moisture during smoking and also to catch the drippings. The rail is much cheaper. I've used this method for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7402-Charc ... rill+parts

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

Eh, just another method. Kind of like fly fishing.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Hankinsfly wrote:Eh, just another method. Kind of like fly fishing.
I guess, but $7 sure beats $127.

Doublegun
Guide

Post by Doublegun »

Great idea but for $127+ I’ll just buy a dedicated smoker.
Around the steel no tortured worm shall toil.

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

Well, mine was a gift. I prob wouldn’t spend the money either. :D

Doublegun
Guide

Post by Doublegun »

Really wish I hadn’t seen this contraption. Grilling last night I kept thinking just how handy it would be.
Around the steel no tortured worm shall toil.

Forrest75
Sport

Post by Forrest75 »

Hankinsfly wrote:Well, mine was a gift. I prob wouldn’t spend the money either. :D
Received mine for father's day this year. Probably wouldn't have bought it on my own before then either, but did have my eye on one. Used it about 4-5 time so far just for quick grilling (brats, hamburgers, chicken..etc) and am very impressed with how uniform the heat is on grilling side of my Weber with it in place. So far have been cooking things about 90% on the "cool" side then move things over for a quick sear right at the end.

Sure, there are other ways to accomplish that, but am very pleased with it so far. Going to use it do my first slow smoke over Labor day weekend. Haven't decided yet what I am going to throw on it yet. The wife is pushing for a turkey, but I might have to convince her I need to do ribs. Heck, it's a long weekend, I might just do both.

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

If you have about 12 hours to commit, you can smoke a hell of a pork butt with the slow n sear. Great taste from the charcoal. Just keep in mind that various factors do affect temps of a Weber while smoking, so you’ll have to baby it a bit. Have some cigars handy.. some college football will be on.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Doublegun wrote:Great idea but for $127+ I’ll just buy a dedicated smoker.
Exactly! Instead of spending that amount I just want ahead and bought an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. Having a dedicated smoker is definitely the way to go if you have the space for one.

You can get good results using a kettle as a smoker, but it takes a lot of baby sitting. A dedicated smoker is much easier and doesn't require much baby sitting.
Brian

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Not exactly a smoker but I put woodchips in aluminum foil, poke holes in it, and put the packet in the gas grill. It's not quite the same as a real hardwood charcoal grill meal but it's pretty darn close. I keep a handful of different wood chips on hand. The family favorite is mesquite.

I have a really nice charcoal grill but for weekday meals the gas gill cooks 9 out of 10 meals.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Interesting. If I already owned a decent charcoal grill I'd consider that. For a bit more I've been threatening to buy one of these for a while. I've read up on them quite a bit and apparently they work great. https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product ... r-package/

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I have three Weber Kettle-style barbecues that I smoke with (I used to have four, but my wife snuck one to the dump when I wasn’t looking). I smoke fish, ducks, legs of lamb, ribs, you name it. They work fantastic. My method: for slow smoking, I start 6 to 8 charcoal briquettes in a charcoal can (with newspaper). Once glowing I put them in a tight pile off to the side in the bottom. On top of the briquettes I lay a piece of apple wood about the size of a can of Skoal (cut from apple tree branches in my yard) . Put the grill on, lay on the fish, meat, whatever opposite the charcoal, put the lid
on, vents open, opposite side of charcoal. Set a timer for one hour. And do again, as needed every hour. Sometimes I’ll lift the lid and fan the coals after 30 minutes.
With meat brined for 24 hours prior (fish less)whatever your favorite brine
is (mine usually it’s soy sauce and brown sugar), it does a great job. Never wanted an electric smoker, the Weber routine makes for a great day drinking opportunity!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

You guys are making too much work for yourselves! I smoke/ slow cook several slabs of KC style ribs regularly, even in the winter. Start with a mostly full chimney piled on one side of the grill. Add soaked wood pieces (get these at places like Sportsman's Warehouse) - not chips on top of the coals. Add a snake of bricquets along the outside of the grill with more soaked wood on top. How long you can be away depends upon how far you wrap the coals. I usually have a peak after about 3 1/2 hours and slow cook at 300 degrees for 5 - 6 hours depending upon quantity. Use upper and lower vents to regulate the temp. Rarely do I need to add coals once I begin the process. I dry rub using my own mix and use a rib rack to keep the ribs standing. The meat falls off the bone when done.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”