Gathering mushrooms

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Boris
Master Guide

Gathering mushrooms

Post by Boris »

Saffron milk caps gathered in the forest with red wine

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gathering mushrooms

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

hello boris,

those are beautiful! i only wish i were more confident in identifying wild mushrooms. i normally feel that eating wild mushrooms is just like playing russian roulette with an automatic handgun, but i do admire the courage of those who can harvest and survive.

regards, jim w

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Morels, oyster mushrooms, puff balls, are easy to safely ID. Morels come out in the spring and no other looks like it except the false morel that really isn't close and comes out in late summer.

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

Jim, these can't be mistaken.. When you cut them at the stem they weep a bright orange sap. They are always found growing around pine tree roots and here in Australia it's around March, April - especially after a wet spell or some rain.

March, April is our autumn.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Excellent! Can you describe the taste? They look great and cooked over a fire outdoors with a nice hearty bread and wine...well that is living.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Not sure Ive seen anything like that in North America....nice report

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

snorider wrote:Excellent! Can you describe the taste? They look great and cooked over a fire outdoors with a nice hearty bread and wine...well that is living.

Hard to describe, they have a flavour of their own, but very delicious.

The bread is made from fresh stoneground meal. This makes it more nutritious and very fragrant.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Lots of Morels in this area. Excellent eating.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Bumper morel crops in much of the mid south on black and now yellow morels Some say best morel year they have ever seen.

Whitefish

Post by Whitefish »

Snow is slowly disappearing here in the UP, but soon the Morels will be appearing. Nice place to be quarantined and hunt morels

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Lots of Morels in this area. Excellent eating.
True story...

Back in 1980 when I was at Northern I stayed during the summers in Marquette and worked. One summer I was working for a painter there and he gave me a ranch house's windows and shutters to paint. The first day I had the shutters off and primed and went home. It was just coming off the last snows melting and when I went to the home owner's home the next day and went to the back yard I was stunned.

There were literally hundreds of Morels growing on her lawn. I went up to the door and asked the lady if I could pick a "few" of the Morels. She said, "Oh, those horrible mushrooms? They come back worse and worse every year. My late husband would mow them down with the lawn mower but they just came back even worse."

I told her that they are delicious when sauted in butter in the morning with eggs. She looked at me like I was nuts. She said take as many as you want. I filled two brown grocery bags with Morels and didn't even dent the population. I almost got tired of eating Morels....almost.

...and to answer your question, no, I don't remember where the house is.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

How could you forget, it has only been 40 years!

That reminds me of a time hunting fire morels in MT, my friend and I walked into a flat bottomed drainage in the 'Belts and morels the size of coke cans carpeted the whole drainage for at least a mile. We filled our 40 gallon bags in about 200ft. In 1993 there was a ridiculously wet summer in MT and several local rodeo grounds became veritable morel factories. LOVE eating morels and I can't wait to get out and forage. The last of the dried oysters might end up in tonight's soup come to think of it...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

I'm getting hungry.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”