Culinary explanation of the bamboo market

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Culinary explanation of the bamboo market

Post by Brooks »

It's become evident why the bamboo market is pretty small and probably not growing. It has to do with the very unique and restrained tastes of it's users. For over two weeks the only culinary items posted here are for:
1-Sauerkraut, and
2 :rollin -Squirrel.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Re: Culinary explanation of the bamboo market

Post by Random Casts »

How about squirrel with a side of....you guessed it sauerkraut.

Richard
Random Casts

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

This is an interesting observation and frankly it surprises me how sparse the cooking topics seem to be here . I know there are pro chefs on here. I always anticipate seeing a nice recipe or some cooking topic of interest but it s not often we see one these days. Come forth some of you pros.

Eyegofaster
Sport

Post by Eyegofaster »

Brooks wrote:It's become evident why the bamboo market is pretty small and probably not growing. It has to do with the very unique and restrained tastes of it's users. For over two weeks the only culinary items posted here are for:
1-Sauerkraut, and
2 :rollin -Squirrel.
That's funny as heck. But I LOVE your signature line. Reminds me of the line by Dennis Miller in the same vein that "A nudist beach, like liberalism, seems like a good idea at first."

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Both of them taste great, just not together, although I've never tried it that way.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I'll help the thread -- anyone here on the bamboo board actually eat bamboo? Our family always had it in sukiyaki and other dishes, it's crunchy and takes on the flavors of whatever it's in. Like tofu it doesn't have much flavor of its own. Now, if you're not familiar with takenoko, tah-keh-noko, or bamboo, it's the buds of the shoots one eats, conical things, so it isn't like we chawing on the dang clums. You'll find it in other Asian cuisines, common in Thai dishes.

I've always wondered how much fiber is in a typical serving of takenoko, I mean, it's got the fibers we love, right?

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

Flykuni. I’m curing a chunk of pork belly for an Asian inspired bacon. Cure is miso, soy, salt, sake, seasonings. After it’s 5 day soak I’ll smoke it over some bamboo shavings from my latest project rod.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Love Bamboo shoots and eat them all of the time with my Chinese dishes, good stuff!!!

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

cheffy wrote:
09/06/20 19:01
Flykuni. I’m curing a chunk of pork belly for an Asian inspired bacon. Cure is miso, soy, salt, sake, seasonings. After it’s 5 day soak I’ll smoke it over some bamboo shavings from my latest project rod.
That sounds delicious! I wonder how bamboo shavings compare to other woods in terms of smoke flavor and aroma.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”