Taters

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Taters

Post by joaniebo »

Some of the ways, I do potatoes when I'm camping with my fishing buddies (a couple of my nephews called some of them "Uncle Bob or Aunt Joanie" recipes:

Potatoes

Uncle Bob’s Hash Browns – cut up bacon into small pieces; add virgin olive oil and brown in cast iron skillet with diced onions; add sliced potatoes and season (with salt & pepper; Lemon Pepper, Riley’s All Purpose, Cajun seasonings, etc.). Cook until potatoes are browned and soft.

Variation – Add a little red wine a few minutes before potatoes are fully cooked.

Uncle Bob’s Italian Potatoes – spread a double layer of aluminum foil on flat surface; thinly slice or cut potatoes into ½” - ¾” chunks; dice onions; put potatoes and onions on top of aluminum foil; cover with Italian salad dressing; cover with another double layer of aluminum foil and fold foil edges tightly to seal; place on grill over medium to high heat for at least 25 – 30 minutes until done.

Variation – instead of using Italian dressing, add red wine and a little water.

Uncle Bob’s Red & Gold Potatoes – slice or dice onions, add virgin olive oil and brown in cast iron skillet; slice or cube small red and Yukon Gold potatoes; season with salt & pepper, Riley’s All Purpose or Lemon Pepper seasonings, etc. cook in cast iron skillet until potatoes are browned and soft.

Variation – start with diced pieces of smoked or Canadian bacon and / or add a little red wine, brandy or preferred liquor a few minutes before serving.

Uncle Bob’s Potato Spears – slice large, white potatoes into long “spears”. Using a double layer of aluminum foil to make a “pan” or using a cast iron skillet add approximately ¼” of virgin olive oil and heat until oil begins to get hot; add sliced potatoes and season with salt & pepper, Riley’s All Purpose, Cajun or Lemon Pepper seasonings, etc. After potato spears are browned and soft, remove from the aluminum foil or skillet and place on hot grill to sear with grill marks.

Aunt Joanie’s Easy Mashed Potatoes – bring two cups of chicken broth to boil and to each package of Idahoan Roasted Garlic Instant Mashed Potatoes and add it to the boiling chicken broth. Stir until smooth.

Fried Sweet Potatoes – peel sweet potatoes and cut into spears or slices and fry in hot virgin olive oil and season with brown sugar and pepper.

Mom’s Old Time Fried Mashed Potatoes – with any left over mashed potatoes, make hamburger shaped patties and brown and pepper in hot virgin olive oil until both sides are browned and insides are hot. Season with salt & pepper.

Variations – add small pieces of diced onions, cooked / crumpled bacon pieces before making the patties. Mash any left over sweet potatoes and mix with left over white, mashed potatoes to make “Pink Fried Potatoes”.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Taters

Post by bassman »

All of those sound delicious but I never get very fancy with them camping or at home. Butter, onions, mushrooms if available, salt, pepper, garlic salt or crushed, sliced potatoes with skin on until brown and soft. Might have to try some of your recipes sometime. They all look great on paper.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Cut them up as you choose - toss lightly with oil of choice, put them in an air fryer set at 400 and cook until you like them. Serve with salt of your choice and ketchup.
I do like some of the above recipes, but I'd need a couple over-easy eggs to blanket them with.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Potato slices fried in duck fat and smothered with milk gravy.
Vern

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

Idaho spuds skin on sliced thin. Saute some onion then add potatoes. Get them fairly crispy seasoning with Lawry's and garlic salt. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese and melt under the broiler. Finish with crumbled bacon. Pop a cold beer :)

Dan

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Cook em like the English do (next on my list to try)

https://www.thekitchn.com/jacket-potato-22943799

But for Thanksgiving, making my standard potato, fennel and onion gratin with fresh gruyere.

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

We Carpatho-Russians make potato pancakes (na-neesh-na-nickys) our Jewish brethren call them latkes.

2 large potatoes peeled and coarsely grated
1/2 small onion grated
2 small eggs (or 1 jumbo)
2 tbs flour, salt and pepper

Grate potatoes into a shallow pan, let stand awhile and pour off any water that separates
add onion, flour, egg and seasoning, mix and let rest awhile (20 minutes)
Spoon into hot Crisco (hydrogenated solid shortening) cast iron pan
Fry turning once to a crispy golden brown
Serve with shmetanka (sour cream)

So delicious it will make your brains fall out!

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Softstick, they did teach you'all Huskies a few things lakeside {unfortunately for us Beav's}.

Anyway, leaving the skin on is a big deal, I think. The rest is #1, but we all do it a little different. {Lawry's no, but I'm sure OK}.

Happy Thanksgiving very one ! Sharon's apple "pie" is cooling for tomorrow. We are so fortunate.

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

For camping?
Diced reds, too much butter, too much bacon, on my old, chipped flat Wagner skillet. Start on a resurrected camp fire for added flavor, finished on the Coleman stove.
Couple fried eggs, lots of grits, shake the son's tent to wake him to ready for the day's
fishing.
Breakfast beside my favorite mountain stream with my son? Life could never have offered up a better serving.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Hash!
When camping this is my favorite, and the all time favorite of my family. The Recipe was given to me by Mrs Marie Dalio, born in a tarpaper shack on the corner of Peach St and Bozeman Ave in Bozeman, MT 1916. The house was dragged by mules 100 yards S and still stands today. A big brick house sits where the shack originally stood. She told me she remembered the cowboys coming back into town when she was a little girl and the cook on the chuck wagon gave the recipe to her and her Mom. This was usually made with venison or beef left over from the evening meal.

Leftover meat from supper. Steak, roast, sausage whatever you have, even fish works, salmon is sublime. (Fresh sausage works great as well)
The same amount of potatoes
1/2 that amount of onion(less is fine for the onion incompatible types)
Salt and Pepper.
Fat for the pan(butter bacon grease etc)

Chop the meat, potatoes and onions to the size of uncooked rice. A course plate on a grinder is an easy cheat and I suspect the wagon had one clamped to a rail, that is a lot of chopping! Honestly anything close works just as well keep chopping till you think it looks good.

Heat grease over campfire coals while sipping coffee. Add Hash, Keep it Moving( Key to good hash) S and P to taste. If you are of the mind crack a few eggs over the hash when the potatoes are tender and onions are clear. That's it.

You will be warm, well fed, and ready to hop on you pony, or wade into the river if that is your aim.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I love homemade hash. It's a favorite when we're camping. I don't know why but we rarely eat it at home? I plan to use your recipe next time up!

My family likes to sleep in and I'm a natural early riser. So, I typically get up early, make the coffee and get the fire started. I like to make hash with left-over steak or prime rib (yum!). I typically do the onions and potatoes until they are done and then mix up the steak/prime rib and just warm it through - I hate over-cooked meat. By the time it's ready and I'm ready to do the eggs, I have a crowd to ask how many they want? :)

Pat

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

There was a book a "few" years back called "Real men Don't Eat Quiche" (a satire on "real men"). It had a recipe for Mining Camp Potatoes. we modified it in memory of my grandfather who was a lumberjack, camp cook, and cowboy in the PNW and call it "lumber camp potatoes.

Fry 1/2 pound or so of thick bacon, remove and drain bacon and retain grease. Dice potatoes in large cubes (1" or so)=we prefer making thick slices (1/4" thick slices cut in half crosswise). Brown with one onion thickly diced and a clove of garlic in the bacon grease (add additional grease or shortening if needed.) Cover and fry until done, salt, pepper, Mexican oregano and basil to taste. Outside crispy, inside tender is the goal. If you desire, serve with home made catsup. Either Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes will do.

Dice the potatoes smaller, add meat and make hash. (Poblanos optional).

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I shouldn't have read this thread before lunch!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

headwaters wrote:
11/06/20 12:28
I shouldn't have read this thread before lunch!
Future lunch ideas! That Bohemian Beadster Bob is a pretty fair camp cook. I was skinny before I met him.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

If we do these you better bring your travel trailer, because we'll all need naps after a lunch like these!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

snorider wrote:
12/01/19 13:40
Hash!
When camping this is my favorite, and the all time favorite of my family. The Recipe was given to me by Mrs Marie Dalio, born in a tarpaper shack on the corner of Peach St and Bozeman Ave in Bozeman, MT 1916. The house was dragged by mules 100 yards S and still stands today. A big brick house sits where the shack originally stood. She told me she remembered the cowboys coming back into town when she was a little girl and the cook on the chuck wagon gave the recipe to her and her Mom. This was usually made with venison or beef left over from the evening meal.

Leftover meat from supper. Steak, roast, sausage whatever you have, even fish works, salmon is sublime. (Fresh sausage works great as well)
The same amount of potatoes
1/2 that amount of onion(less is fine for the onion incompatible types)
Salt and Pepper.
Fat for the pan(butter bacon grease etc)

Chop the meat, potatoes and onions to the size of uncooked rice. A course plate on a grinder is an easy cheat and I suspect the wagon had one clamped to a rail, that is a lot of chopping! Honestly anything close works just as well keep chopping till you think it looks good.

Heat grease over campfire coals while sipping coffee. Add Hash, Keep it Moving( Key to good hash) S and P to taste. If you are of the mind crack a few eggs over the hash when the potatoes are tender and onions are clear. That's it.

You will be warm, well fed, and ready to hop on you pony, or wade into the river if that is your aim.
Yes. A meal fit for a king! At camp, when the eggs were cracked over it and mixed in we called in slumgullion.
headwaters wrote:
11/06/20 14:54
If we do these you better bring your travel trailer, because we'll all need naps after a lunch like these!
Why not! If I have to listen to any more news, I may pack up the trailer and live in it, out of signal range.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

We like to keep them simple too. Big chunks or quartered lengthwise, olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary.
Roast in the oven until crispy (turn once) on the outside, soft on the inside.

But all of the above sound tasty.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Potatoes, when done well, are good enough to be the main course. My son sent me a Tik Tok video (I don't have a Tik Tok account personally) where an internet chef made something called Fondant potatoes. You peel yellow, or Kennebec potatoes and keep them full size. Cut a flat spot on both sides and brown them (or sear if you like fancy words) on both ends. I made these as a one-pot dish in a Lodge enameled Dutch oven so you drain the oil and put a bunch of butter in the bottom and put the potatoes in on top of it. He added stock but didn't specify what it was so I used beefy onion soup mix and added water. I love garlic so I put several cloves in the pot and they were simply cut in half or left whole depending on the size. Cook in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes and.. holy cow. I covered mine but the video shows them cooked uncovered. The butter and stock make an amazing gravy that can be drizzled over the potatoes and they're just so creamy inside.

I was craving potatoes this morning but all I had were some left over Russetts. I decided to make simple skillet potatoes and onions. I brown a cut up sweet onion in olive oil and butter, then add cut up spuds and garlic. Cover it so that it steams a little bit which accelerates the cooking time. With salt and pepper added it's such a simple but satisfying meal.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”