Baked Trout Recipe?

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Wlanzoni
Sport

Baked Trout Recipe?

Post by Wlanzoni »

Looking for a couple recipes for baked trout.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill Lanzoni
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203) 506-6600

tunafart
Master Guide

Re: Baked Trout Recipe?

Post by tunafart »

Not necessarily 'baked', but my favorite:
- head & gut 6-10" fish, seems to work well with small bows and brookies
- rub inside with S&P, add slice of lemon
- lay out on double sheet of aluminum foil
- squeeze rest of lemon over all, maybe a bit of butter
- wrap foil snugly around fish, crease top in a small, tight 'tent'
- place neatly side-by-side on top rack of empty dish washer, run through a full cycle

works remarkably well, always tender, moist & tasty
and doesn't stink up the kitchen!
bon appetite

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

BTW most dishwashers will cook far bigger batches of fish, if you’re having a party. I’ve done 6 (farmed) salmon in one cycle. But make sure there’s no detergent, rinse aid etc. in the machine!

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Season the whole trout with salt, peper and dried dill. Lay the whole trout on lemon slices and cover with lemon slices. Put in oven at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes depending on size of the trout. This also works well using a fish basket on the grill.
Vern

Hsimmons
Guide

Post by Hsimmons »

I'll second the suggestion for the grill. I make a foil tray, spray it with Pam, season the cavity of the fish with Lemon Pepper and Dill, add some slices of butter and then cook it over hot coals for about 5 to 10-minutes per side, plus or minus depending on the size of the fish. I leave the head on. Fish is done when you can pull the dorsal fin out of the body easily. Best if cooked rare. Sometimes I'll throw cherry tomatoes on the grill with it.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I am terrified by the thought of using a dishwasher to cook anything, but that is probably some sort of "phobia" :lol

Burn the campfire down to coals, gut trout, leave head on (cheeks are a treat!), add to the cavity: salt and pepper, pat of butter, slice of lemon. Wrap in foil tightly. Lay on coals and cook till you can't take it or 10min. EAT. The trout is ready to eat before you start this process, and the degree of done-ness will vary depending on the mileage to your campsite. This translates nicely to the back yard as well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

cook bacon in cast iron pan.
take out bacon.
cook whole gutted trout in hot bacon grease
salt and pepper
eat
(just like my grandma did it)

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

First let me say I really hate it when I have killed a trout. If I accidentally deep hook a trout that is a bleeder I will keep it. Most of the time those are fairly large fish- 18 inch plus inch fish likely taken on a sucked down terrestrial. I gut and take the head off , and cut tail off at the wrist, and with scissors I cut all the ribs down as close as possible on one side of the back bone for the entire length to the anal fin. Then take a knife and cut flesh but not completely through , the skin for entire length all the way to the tail so that the skin is intact and fish can be laid completely flat on a grill. I use a covered grill . I season meat side of the fish with salt pepper and perhaps some lemon pepper. I lay the fish skin side down on the grill, having sprayed Pam or equivalent on the grill or alternatively oiled skin side to avoid sticking to the grill. Grill temperature is between medium and hot. I close the lid on the grill and usually go about 7 minutes( do Not overcook), and see if bones are free from meat. Do not turn the fish. Remove entire fish to a platter with a spatula, and then using a fork l lift the one side of the back bone with ribs out , thus have a boneless side. The using a fork I remove all of the ribs on the severed side. This results in two large boneless trout full length fillets. I have found this hot fir and quick method to keep moist flesh and the boneless (or nearly so) result is preferred by the One Whose Preference Shall not Be Questioned.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Lots of good stuff up above but wife and I have fixed fish in many many different ways over the years and these are a couple of our favorites. FIRST, like Bee, these recipes take larger fish. When living up north in MN and owning a charter boat on Superior we had a ready supply of steelhead trout and salmon running into many pounds. I'll list a holiday favorite first.

I would cut head off fish of course and tail. Then I would slit along the backbone and removed those fins and trim belly fat and caudal fins. I would scale fish and then wife would prepare a sage stuffing like we used in Turkeys. She'd stuff the fish, put it on a cookie pan with foil and tent foil over the fish. Bake at 350 until done. Used to have a formula for how long per weight but can't remember since we don't have trout like available anymore. Also done this with northern pike and musky. She thinks it was something like 20 minutes per pound. EDIT to add...Some people will squeeze lemon over the fish before baking, some will lay bacon over it. The stuffing she uses is a Sage recipe from her Mom and is good in anything you stuff with it.

Next is a way we fixed many trout, salmon, lake trout, stripers, bigger bass, Mahi Mahi, etc. On big trout I would fillet them and then use a needle nose to pull all the bones that come off the backbone. Ribs of course went when filleting . Most fish I deboned this way or carefully slicing those side bones out. Then I'd fillet the skin off, rinse thoroughly, cut fillets into roughly 4" sections. If fish was froze for any length of time or had any gamy or fishy smell we'd soak in milk for a few hours and rinse again. Then we'd take cookie pan, put in just enough oil to cover full bottom of pan only, take the fillets and shake and thoroughly cover with your favorite seasoning. Our favorite was a mix of Lindners Original and Frying Magic. Put the fillets in pan and then cover with a thin but thorough lay of Mayonnaise. YES, Mayonnaise. I prefer Miracle Whip for most things but not this. After covering with mayo shake some lemon pepper and paprika for color and bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until mayo browns nicely and meat flakes.

As for smaller trout, clean, chop heads off, dip in Frying Magic and fry them in butter and serve with eggs for breakfast.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I caught a fat Brown - 5#2oz, and decided he needed to make a meal. I "stole" the recipe from a French chef. Whole trout - skin on - head cut off.
In a baking dish put a wire rack in to keep the trout 3/4 to 1" above the bottom of the pan. Put enough white wine in the bottom of the baking dish to come within 1/4" of the fish laid on the rack. Stuff the cavity with Vidalia Onions sliced thin. On top spread Italian bread crumbs over entire fish generously. Add 5 large pats of butter spaced on top of the bread crumbs. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Serve over rice pilaf.
There will be nothing left but the bone remains.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

This thread came back up today and I honestly missed it back when it originated. When I saw a post about "cooking" trout in tinfoil inside of a dishwasher I checked the post date to make sure it wasn't April 1st. That is the craziest thing I've read in a while but it's ingenious.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I have been cooking trout for many years and finally settled on this for fresh trout fillets that everyone seems to like:

1.Pat trout fillets dry with a paper towel and place on tin foil with the edges curled up like a sheet cake pan. This makes for simple clean up. I leave the skin on and put skin side down.
2. Add a generous coating of a mild hot sauce like Trappey’s which you can buy on line in 3-pack bottles inexpensively.
3. Add a sprinkle of garlic sea salt and then shake on some crushed red pepper flakes like you find in an old pizza shop.
4. Place on top rack and BROIL skin side down in a small toaster oven for about 10-15 minutes.
5. The Rolling Rock in the photo is for display purposes only. :-)

(Tap on photo to enlarge)

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Over hot coals is my favorite way.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”