Ramps or Wild Leeks in a Time of Social Isolation

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Salvelinus fontinalis
Guide

Ramps or Wild Leeks in a Time of Social Isolation

Post by Salvelinus fontinalis »

We have some nice patches of wild leeks or ramps outback in our woodlot and, given our relative isolation right now, it's been prime time to indulge. If you are not aware, ramps are a wild allium that can make a body quite odiferous after eaten. Simply a strong, onion like odor that will only repel another individual not fortunate enough to have eaten them as well. Given the fact that my wife and I are hunkered down in our thousand square foot abode without social interaction, we have the green light to enjoy ramps and get stinky. Today I'm going to experiment with a dairy free ramp chowder. Anybody else enjoying these little beauties right now?

Dan

Silver rat
Guide

Re: Ramps or Wild Leeks in a Time of Social Isolation

Post by Silver rat »

They are a tasty treat. If the chowder is a success would you be kind enough to give us the recipe.

Forrest75
Sport

Post by Forrest75 »

Will have to wait a few more weeks before I can start harvesting them up on our property in northern Wisconsin. Without exaggeration you could walk for hundreds of yards in any direction along the creek that runs by our place and would never touch the ground by stepping on ramps if you wanted.

My favorite way to prepare them is on the grill, which cuts back their harshness and sweetens them up a bit. They are also very good pickled.

Would love to see the chowder recipe as well.

Salvelinus fontinalis
Guide

My wife and I really loved the chowder. Thus far this season, I have grilled ramps, sauted them, and included in a stir fry. This might be the best yet although potatoes and bacon can pick up any dish. :D

Here's what I did:

Dairy Free Ramp Chowder
1. Cut up 6 slices of bacon into 1-2 inch pieces and cook in separate pan. Set aside when cooked and drained.
2. Chop 1 cup of ramp bulbs/lower stem and 1/2 cup of leaves
3. Put about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in a heavy pot
4. Saute the bulb and stem portions in the bacon grease. When softened, add 1/2 of the leaves (save the rest for garnish)
5. Add 4 cups of vegetable broth to the pot.
6. Add 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
7. Chop roughly 5 medium potatoes (I used red and blue fingerlings) as well as 3 stalks of celery. Add to liquid in pot and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and cook 15-20 minutes.
8. Make a slurry of 1/4 cup non dairy milk (I used Oat milk) and 2-3 teaspoons arrowroot powder. Stir the slurry into the pot until thickened. You can add flour at this point if needed.
9. Stir in the bacon and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from heat, cover, and let everything sit for an hour or so to enhance flavors.

When you are ready to eat, heat it up, garnish with the remaining cut leaves, and enjoy with a nice, dense loaf of sordough.

Stay safe and healthy,
Dan

Forrest75
Sport

Post by Forrest75 »

That sounds wonderful. I will definitely be making some chowder this spring.

thank you

Salvelinus fontinalis
Guide

I dug a 5 gallon bucket full today. My plan would be to pickle them since there are some nice sized bulbs now. Found a simple recipe that uses only cider vinegar with parchment paper between the lid and jar. Looking forward to them but don't know if I'll be able to wait the full 6 months the recipe recommends.
Dan

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

We have ramps here in GA and usually have a Ramp Festival but this year it's a no go. I planted some a few years ago but they didn't take hold. I have not been able to locate a patch in the wild myself so I depend on others and I don't ask were they get them. It's like Ginseng, you just don't ask.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

You want to be real careful about identifying ramps, there are several wild lily varieties that resemble ramps but are very toxic. Treated 3 guys a few years back who were not sufficiently knowledgeable and destroyed their livers.

Salvelinus fontinalis
Guide

16parachuteadams wrote:You want to be real careful about identifying ramps, there are several wild lily varieties that resemble ramps but are very toxic. Treated 3 guys a few years back who were not sufficiently knowledgeable and destroyed their livers.
Oh my, that is not good. I have been consuming them for many years without issues likely because of the influence of an outdoorsman grandfather long gone. Gathering and eating wild ramps in spring was an integral part of life in northern PA back then. Thanks for the "heads up".

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

My wife and I own a property that has huge patches of ramps.

In addition to ramp, potato, and ham soups, we have been enjoying ramp and toasted pine nut pesto with spiral noodles and of course the appropriate anti CoVid internal inoculations.

Can’t wait for the morels to be added to the mix!

Richard
Random Casts

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

My son just pick a poop ton of ramps. So far he has pickled some. Made a pesto with the greens. Dehydrated some and made a ramp infused clearifed butter. Not counting the ramp and morel omelettes and potato ramp soup.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Oh, my gosh! This thread definitely takes me back home (WV) and the spring-time delicacy of ramps. My family all loved them just about anyway you fix them. We were a stinky bunch, perhaps, but since we all ate them, it wasn't really a problem. To us. :)

I haven't had ramps in years and years. I may have to hit the hills next spring!

Pat

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Foraging for Ramps (usually called Ramsons in the UK) was a regular activity for us in the early days of the Covid-19 lockdown in Wales. There is one steep little valley within walking distance of my house that has a huge population, particularly pretty when their flowering overlaps with that of the Bluebells that grow around them. We use them many ways but cheese and ramp scones and pesto are favourites.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

With it being opening fishing weekend in Wisconsin and warm weather I decided to spend some time Sunday doing some wood cutting on downed timber before the hordes of mosquitoes invade northern Wisconsin. To my surprise I found some wild leeks growing down by the lake.

I know a spot where I grouse hunt that also has a lot of them, but I never noticed before on our property.

i love them with my egg breakfast in the morning.

Any suggestions for storing wild leeks (ramps)?

Thanks.

John

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Hi Guys,

Blanch and freeze or put them into a blender after blanching and make a pesto with toasted pine nuts then freeze or have it as a fresh garnish. Yummy!👍

Richard
Random Casts

SgtMajUSMC
Sport

Post by SgtMajUSMC »

Hi John, Last spring my wife and I cleaned a bunch of leeks and vacuum sealed them before putting them in the freezer. I made venison chili last weekend, and added one of the packages that we had from last year. I honestly believe that they were every bit as good as when freshly harvested. Best, Tim

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

All these took about 20 min and it was the tip of the iceberg. Our son said there was a better spot but we were happy with these.
We’re doing pesto. Compound butter and tossing some intonanbatch of kimchi. Some of the larger leaves are going under the skin of a roasting chicken this weekend. Or maybe wrapped around some scallops.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Thank you for the responses.

I found several areas on my daily hikes that have loads of wild leeks.

Tim I hope your weather is improving out East!! I will have to try vacuum sealing, I am not one to blanch unless necessary.

John

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

cheffy wrote:
05/07/21 18:16
All these took about 20 min and it was the tip of the iceberg. Our son said there was a better spot but we were happy with these.
We’re doing pesto. Compound butter and tossing some intonanbatch of kimchi. Some of the larger leaves are going under the skin of a roasting chicken this weekend. Or maybe wrapped around some scallops.
Don’t forget about digging out the delicious bulbs and adding them to soups and stews. 👍

Richard
Random Casts

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

We’ve been trying to be more sustainable in our harvesting this year and therefore only took a few bulbs.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”