Grilled octopus

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Mike N
Master Guide

Grilled octopus

Post by Mike N »

I was watching a Food Channel show that featured a small bar in Sicily grilling octopus. The local Giant Eagle had frozen octopus offered at $11 for 4 niece pieces so I had to give it a try. I marinated it for 48 hours in Tupperware filled with soy, oyster sauce, red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic. I lit some charcoal in the patio fireplace and inserted a grille rack. The coals were hot, so about 4 minutes on each side. It was really delicious.

(Tap photo to enlarge)

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Grilled octopus

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Thanks for reminding me that I have not had it that way in at least a year and really enjoyed it when I grilled it as well. I didn't use soy, but need to find the recipe that I used. Very tasty indeed.

Cheers,
Joe

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Glad to hear that, Joe.

By the way, for the uninitiated, the “calamari” you see on appetizer menus is squid, which are found in open ocean waters. Octopuses are typically found in caves on the ocean floor. Both are rich in nutrients and protein.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Octopus (pulpo in Spain) has been one item we get everytime we go for tapas.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That looks awesome. I really like the taste and texture of octopus/squid thanks for sharing with us Mike.

When I worked for big pharma we had a sushi chef from SF who would show up every Wed with white plastic buckets full of live critters. The fresh octopus sashimi was AMAZING. Out came the octopus, off came a leg and right onto the cutting board. By the time it hit my plate less than a minute had passed. It was truly an incredible experience to see this guy wield a knife. My Wednesday afternoon productivity suffered severely form the sushi hangover...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Not for me thanks... Years ago I was having dinner with my Japanese girlfriend at her house. We were sitting at the table with her family. On the table was all sorts of stuff, but the Octopus is what I remember the most. She asked if I wanted some, so when I looked up at her she had a tentacle with the suction cup fixed to the outside of her glasses, swinging it around in a circle.... She then pulled it off with a "pop"... Everyone laughed but me!
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Very nice photo. As mentioned above, Spanish have different preparations that work really well. My favorites’ on top of potatoes (boiled in the octopus cooked water) with Spanish paprika, Sea salt, and Olive oil.

Grilled with some Veggie purée and your chimichurri of choice.

Boiled and served cold with raw peppers, onions, garlic a vinaigrette.

I love octopus and buy it often raw / frozen from my seafood store imported from Spain.

I do not know how to post pictures here, but if you are curious, I have photos in Instagram - alejandroprietospain

Tight lines

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I have had octopus a couple of times. Once it was grilled and once was in ceviche. The ceviche stuff was great. The grilled I ate was really chewy and just not good. Is grilled octopus typically chewy or was it cooked too long?

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”