Cherry Tomatoes

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Cherry Tomatoes

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

Our full-size tomatoes aren't doing very well this year; however, the cherry tomatoes
are doing great. Even giving half of them away, we have all we need!

Tight Lines- Ken

woody osborne
Guide

Re: Cherry Tomatoes

Post by woody osborne »

if my brother was still at tinker, he'd look you up. homegrown maters are something else.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I’ve loved tomatoes ever since I was a boy, going up to my dad’s garden with a small pack of salt (from the local Burger Chef) to eat a few. As I grew older my preference turned towards those smaller cherry tomatoes like the ones show. Nothing like the natural sugars in a vine-ripened tomato.
Last edited by Mike N on 07/14/20 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

Guy Clark said it best;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QzLIjL1u4

Love cherry tomatoes on home made pizza.

D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

Fanwing
Master Guide

Post by Fanwing »

Try "Aunt Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt" on those.
Most grocery stores around here carry it.
Or....
In a large bowl, we halve them with German Thyme, Greek and Italian Oregano, Garlic Chives, Sage, Rosemary, Parsley, no Basil. :-\ fresh from the garden. All to taste.
A little onion salt,garlic powder, olive oil, and white balsamic vinegar.
Toss to combine,and let sit for a bit.
Yeah buddy! :D

Last edited by Fanwing on 07/28/20 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Our tomatoes are slow getting red, all the types (cherry, grape, plum and Goliath) this year.
But the cukes, peppers (hot and frying, no Bell), yellow squash and zucchini are going wild.
Bush beans are coming in too (Daphne eats them before they get in the house).

As for eating them:
Off the plant, little salt.
But fresh in a BLT on toasted rye bread with a little mayo and salt, "them's good eating".

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I love them but nothing grows good here. Ours flowered but we only got a dozen or less from them. Love the ones we got but one problem may be amount of hoppers we have here the last few years.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I love cherry tomatoes. I've had a garden with cherry tomatoes every year for about 20 years. I usually have enough that I give some away to relatives and friends. I grow eggplants, cucumbers, and various peppers and have also shared them.

Occasionally the birds and squirrels have shared some of my bounty, and it never really bothered me. In the past I have considered it a "cost of doing business".

When the virus started changing the way we shopped, by wife encouraged me to grow a little more in the garden, which I tried to do.
Things started out very well, and the garden grew and started producing a very nice potential harvest.

I began to harvest my precious cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, eggplants, bell peppers, and jalapeños all started coming in, and all looked very good for the Summer harvest. Then disaster happened.

For the first time since I've been planting and growing vegetables, the squirrels have descended like a biblical plague on my little garden and have harvested every single fruit and vegetable in it long before they could mature to a point where I would consider picking them and allowing them ripen off the vine. They have left nothing in their wake and have even taken to eating the flowers before the fruit set.

I finally just quit fertilizing and watering my little garden.

It's been a very disappointing summer for me as I usually enjoy at least some of the bounty that the tree rats have decided to completely and absolutely pirate.
I think I'm going to give up gardening.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I love 'em. My very favorite steak (italian) recipe uses Cherry Tomatoes: Tagliata. (serves two)

I've modified slightly a recipe that was published by Nigella Lawson:
It takes two small to medium sized NY cut steaks
and the sauce:
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
4 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
16 ounces of Cherry tomatoes cut in half

I put the ingredients (not the steaks) in an appropriate flat bottom bowl. Add the halved tomatoes. Squish the tomatoes into the sauce ingredients with something like an old fashioned potato masher.

Cook the steaks on a very hot barbeque grill for a couple minutes on each side for a rare steak.
Slice the steak into strips and put the slices (and any steak juice) into the bowl with the sauce/tomato ingredients. Stir it up.

Serve the steak strips over a bed of arugula and spoon the cherry tomatoes and sauce over the top. Grate on a little fresh parmesan and add a sprig of fresh oregano.

Gawd it's good.

uppercreek
Guide

Post by uppercreek »

My cherry tomato plants are growing like crazy, but I'm getting very little from my regular tomatoes. I was disappointed, since I love Caprese salad with slices of fresh tomatoes interlaid with fresh mozarella and basil leaves, drizzled with olive oil, until my Italian friend suggested using cherry tomatoes instead. So, I halved a bunch of cherry tomatoes, and mixed them with diced fresh mozarella, chopped fresh basil from the garden, olive oil, and a little salt. Served it on thin slices of sourdough bread with antipasto and good large green greek olives. Delicious! The sweetness of the cherry tomatoes constrasted nicely with the peppery basil and savory meat and olives. Next time I made it I omitted the salt and mixed in the olives directly. Even better! So now I'm happy with my bumper crop of cherry tomatoes.

This post needs a couple of photos:

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

There is a great recipe for a cherry tomato-based pasta dish in the July/August issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine. Check it out!

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

One warning if using them on pizza, they will boil inside their skin without bursting and burn the crap out of you when you cut them with the slicer.

George Carson
Sport

Post by George Carson »

Try cutting them in half lengthwise if using them on pizza. This is also a favorite on salmon with capers, when broiling salmon in the oven.

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

I eat a Cesar salad every day for lunch and we didn't buy any cherry tomatoes or cukes all summer. Gave some away along with loads of peppers.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”