Where to get a good Reuban

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Idahoan
Master Guide

Where to get a good Reuban

Post by Idahoan »

That corned beef thread really has me cravin' a Reuban. I know Reuban fans...we all have our favorite spot and cherish it like a little known unnamed native stream.

So lets hear them...wheres the best Reuban served up...? For me its Bullwinkles in West Yellowstone Monatna....haystack fried onions with a spicy mustard/horseradish dip and a Moose Drool round out the meal.

Well worth the drive, even if I'm not stopping to wet a line.

Matt

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Where to get a good Reuban

Post by spruce grouse »

Some might consider a Reuben west of the Mississippi, or for that matter west of the Hudson, as sacrilege.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Go here when in LA. Langer's has beaten NYC's, no lie.

"...The Legendary No. 19

There's nothing like it in the whole world - just ask anyone who's had one. The legendary #19 Sandwich at Langer's Delicatessen-Restaurant. Piled high with the juiciest, most tender thick-cut pastrami you'll ever taste, the #19 is complemented by a slice of Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, and Langer's own homemade cole slaw. It may be the most delicious pastrami sandwich anywhere, and there's only one way to find out for yourself - come to Langer's and enjoy one today."

http://www.langersdeli.com/

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

a half-muffaletta and bowl of gumbo will suit me, thank you.

Idahoan
Master Guide

Post by Idahoan »

Flykuni3 wrote:Go here when in LA. Langer's has beaten NYC's, no lie.

"...The Legendary No. 19

There's nothing like it in the whole world - just ask anyone who's had one. The legendary #19 Sandwich at Langer's Delicatessen-Restaurant. Piled high with the juiciest, most tender thick-cut pastrami you'll ever taste, the #19 is complemented by a slice of Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, and Langer's own homemade cole slaw. It may be the most delicious pastrami sandwich anywhere, and there's only one way to find out for yourself - come to Langer's and enjoy one today."

http://www.langersdeli.com/

I have a hard time with the slaw over the crout...but I can see that I will not have lived until I try that....the word sandwich does not do it justice...I think that might be a winner!!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Since I live Island Park/West Yellowstone area my favorite is the Island Park Lodge for a Reuben and if you like baby back-ribs they're to die for. They're meaty and fall off the bone.

Dennis

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

[quote="Flykuni3"]Go here when in LA. Langer's has beaten NYC's, no lie.

"...The Legendary No. 19

Technically, what you've got there is an ungrilled Rachel: pastrami replaces corned beef, slaw replaces kraut. (Reubens and Rachels are grilled like grilled cheese.) A rose by any other name...

In all of these variants, it's the quality of the meat that counts. The places with the best sandwiches will be curing their own or have them specially sourced.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Ain't nuthin' nowhere will ever beat a Reuben made by Carnegie's Deli in Manhattan. That's just fact, plain and simple.

Mark

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

There is a bar in Iowa where they make their own bread marbled rye and the rueben is the size of a large platter. Two can share this as a meal and there is trout fishing about 2 hours away - it is near or in the quad cities. Get there early. Bavarian Village is the name of the establishment in Davenport Iowa

Gregg
Last edited by gmflyfish on 04/03/12 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

caddisman3
Master Guide

Post by caddisman3 »

Bagels Deli and restaurant in Denver,Can i get a big hell yea from the cane brotherhood on the front range.AWSOME!!! Reuban
Karl

WoodRiver
Sport

Post by WoodRiver »

Idahoan;

The best Rueben Sandwich is real close to you. Just go to Csaba's in Marsing, Idaho.
Bruce Csaba also has Great brisket and BBQ!!!!!

WoodRiver

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Oakwood Cafe in Erie, Pennsylvania.

jayfisher
Sport

Post by jayfisher »

A good Reuben is one of the best lunches around. Or dinner. Years ago when I lived in Pittsburgh there were several great places around Squirrel Hill. Now that I'm out West, my calorie counting ways have sadly reduced my Reuben consumption.

-Jack

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PaducahMichael »

bulldog1935 wrote:a half-muffaletta and bowl of gumbo will suit me, thank you.
I knew you were a good man. Didn't know you were a gourmand as well. I'll take the other half of that muffaletta.

Last edited by PaducahMichael on 04/05/12 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

gumbo is a food group

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My wife makes the best Reuben extant.

But she's not making one for you...
unless we're fishing together that is! :D

Scott

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Assuming it has the right ingredients, I didn't know there could be such a thing as a "bad Reuben."

Eric

Bill Lambot
Master Guide

Post by Bill Lambot »

Titelines' post above is absolutely correct. The gold medal for Reubans has been irrevokably awarded to Carnegie Deli and the silver to the nearby Stage Deli. Delicious and hefty. It would be provincial to say that the only place that you can get a genuine Reuban is NYC, but if you did say that, I wouldn't argue with you. Don't forget the half sour pickles. Bill Lambot

recane1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by recane1 »

To make a good Reuban, the first thing needed is a high quality Jewish sour rye bread.

I got the best.

Aaron

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Bill Lambot wrote:Titelines' post above is absolutely correct. The gold medal for Reubans has been irrevokably awarded to Carnegie Deli and the silver to the nearby Stage Deli. Delicious and hefty. It would be provincial to say that the only place that you can get a genuine Reuban is NYC, but if you did say that, I wouldn't argue with you. Don't forget the half sour pickles. Bill Lambot
And I forgot to mention, right across the street from Carnegies, is a little bakery that has to make the best damn cannolis in all of Manhattan!

Mark

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”