Bamboo Bash Gravlax

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

jvh
Master Guide

Bamboo Bash Gravlax

Post by jvh »

Here is my recipe for the Bamboo Bash Gravlax.
I use 2 Himalayan Pink Salt Slabs that are 8"x12"x1 1/2". This size will hold 2 one pound salmon fillets. I put one slab on a rack in a sheet pan as shown in the photo.

Cover this slab with fresh dill and lay the fillets on the dill skin side down. To the flesh side add raw sugar, dry mustard, coriander seeds and cover with fresh dill. (I don't have measured amounts but would guess 1 teaspoon sugar and coriander seeds and one tablespoon dry mustard per fillet) Place the second slab of salt on top and cover with plastic wrap. Put this in the frig for about 3 days for frozen salmon. Make sure you have a strong shelf to put it on as this is very heavy. Fresh salmon will cure in about 2 days. When the salmon is ready slice thin and serve.
A tip when using frozen fillets. Unwrap the frozen fillets and place on a rack to thaw. This allows excess water to drain. Also pat with paper towels to help remove the water. The more water you can remove the better it will cure.
Mustad sauce:
1/4 cup Dijon mustard. 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard. 3 tablespoons raw sugar. 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar. 1/3 cup olive oil. 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill. Combine the mustards, sugar, and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil and stir in the chopped dill. Serve with the gravlax.
Serve with cocktail rye bread or crackers, cucumber slices, lemon wedges and fresh dill.

Enjoy

Vern

halh68
Guide

Re: Bamboo Bash Gravlax

Post by halh68 »

Thanks Vern,
That was some great stuff! Now to scour the net for a couple of the salt slabs. Seems like I come home with new cane and new recipes every time.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Sounds like a winner! Thanks.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

FYI
I found my large salt slabs at Trader Joe's just before Christmas for a very good price. It may be a yearly thing. I also found some 4"x8"x2" bricks in the deer hunting section of a farm supply store. They were for using as a salt lick. I believe they were seconds because all had a corner chipped off which didn't matter. So I bought several. They work great for small batches.

Vern

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Hi fellas-
This is my first venture into the 'Kitchen', but this thread cries for another pic.
As some might know, Vern brought his excellent fish dish to the recent Townsend Bash.
Immediately on taking the foil cover off, you could feel the gravity shift, and most-all the guys
just fell towards the the Gravlux plate. Finely made, and a treat all 'round.
Just look at this:

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Salt blocks for Deer and livestock usually have several things added that add to the health and welfare of the animals but I would not swear that they would all be good for you or your Salmon. I'd check with the manufacturer before I used them.I did as a child eat a piece off the white cattle blocks but they are straight salt with nothing added. If it's red or yellow it's a mineral block or contains sulfur . Eddie <*)))><
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

I did check. I thought the same thing. They are pure salt and not manufactured and don't have anything added.
Thanks
Vern

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Oh I love that stuff, my foreign exchange brothers mom pampered us with traditional swedish gavlax and crisp rye bread. Every evening with wine we ate it piled with lots of fresh dill on top and fresh mustard sauce, what a great way to enjoy good salmon. I will have to hunt around for some of those salt blocks.
Thanks
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

Sir la table store have the salt blocks and also salt block shot glasses for your Aquavit shots. Also look at bed bath and beyond for salt blocks.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Thanks Cheffy we actually now have a BB and B store here which is somewhat sad to me, but I am heading over tomorrow to check for salt blocks anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Hey guys
At this years Bash in Townsend TN several folks asked for the recipe so I bumped this up.
Vern

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

I am glad, once again, to show the delicious end result:
Image2019 Bamboo Bash

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

One of the best things I have had in a long time! Thanks again Vern

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

Thanks Vern, the Gravlax was outstanding, so good in fact that I had it for my dessert :D

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Thanks guys. I think it's a good snack at a bamboo/fishing gathering. Glad everyone liked it.
Vern

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

By the way you can do this with larger trout or brook trout as well just in case you didnt know (which probably is not the case). Its incredibly easy and delicious.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”