Trial with Flicker

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Trial with Flicker

Post by oldfishbrain »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150779674 ... res/v9436v

I still cannot get the method of posting with flicker. I have tried both methods above and I get the address of the photo on my post but not the photo itself.
What am I doing wrong?
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: Trial with Flicker

Post by BGreer »

Oldfishbrain,

Here is what I do:

Go to your flickr; click on the photo you want to use.
Click on the "Share Photo" icon. (It looks like an arrow turning to the right.)
That will open a white box.
Click on BBCode. Choose the size of photo you want from the drop down menu.
Copy the highlighted URL and paste in in the message you are composing on this forum.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

BGreer wrote:Oldfishbrain,

Here is what I do:

Copy the highlighted URL and paste in in the message you are composing on this forum.
Thanks BGreer but it doesn't help. There is no BBCode choice. The address of the photo is highlighted but when I copy and paste it I get the result shown in my original post.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Alex,
Open the photo then chose the arrow down tab in the lower right, it is a download tab, when I will be posting the downloaded photo I choose 640x480 since there are generally size constraints on some sites. Then go to the URL which is truncated but hitting it will open the link and you can then post you photo as thus Image

p.s. I am doing this with an iPad Pro, a PC is easier
banjo

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

oldfishbrain wrote:
BGreer wrote:Oldfishbrain,

Here is what I do:

Thanks BGreer but it doesn't help. There is no BBCode choice. The address of the photo is highlighted but when I copy and paste it I get the result shown in my original post.
Hmmm. Let's make sure we're on the same page. (bad pun intended)

Here is what things should look like:
There's the "Share Photo" icon. I put the yellow pointing arrow in there to make it easier to see.

Here is the white box that pops up that allows you to copy the BBCode for your photo.
Copy the URL and then come over to the message on this forum and paste it.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

BTW I am using a MacBook.
After I click the share link I get a white page like the one you showed except that the top choices are:
"Share" and "Email" no Embed or BBCode

Under "Share" are four buttons for Facebook, something called Tumblr, Twitter and something called Pinterest.
Under the buttons is the highlighted URL for the photo and this is what I copied and pasted in my post with the result above.
Thanks for your help, would love to get to the bottom of this.
Alex
avardanis@sympatico.ca

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Ok Oldfishbrain, try this....I did some fiddling around....

I think that maybe you have your photos restricted.
There are several restrictions that you can apply to the pics you upload to Flickr.
If you click on the pic you want to post, and scroll down the page to "Additional info".
If you have that picture set to "private" you do not get the BBCode option when sharing.
That setting has to be set to something other than private to get the BBCode.

I don't have a Mac Book, but that's how Flickr is working on my PC.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

BGreer wrote:Ok Oldfishbrain, try this....I did some fiddling around....

I think that maybe you have your photos restricted.
There are several restrictions that you can apply to the pics you upload to Flickr.
If you click on the pic you want to post, and scroll down the page to "Additional info".
If you have that picture set to "private" you do not get the BBCode option when sharing.
That setting has to be set to something other than private to get the BBCode.

I don't have a Mac Book, but that's how Flickr is working on my PC.
I changed it from private to public......no difference.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Oldfishbrain,

Well, it seems you are not the only one with this problem.
I looked at the help forums on Flickr and there is a lot of people with the same problem.

Hopefully, Flick will recognize and fix this problem.
It seems that Banjo has a workaround.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

I did everything before Alex changed his permissions, the arrow down I am referring to is the next arrow over to the right of the arrow you used Alex. Regards.
banjo

p.s. Things used to be far easier using Flickr before they upgraded it a few times back I'm sure it was to fix other issues but inadvertently caused new ones.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

https://downloadr.flickr.com/dl/c21cbbc ... bb5128722c

Hi Sante:
Thank you for your help. When I do it your way I get the result above,
Photobucket has been working for me, so I think I'll stick to it.
Hope to see you at the Catskill Gathering.
Alex
BTW I did it with an iPad too (an old iPad) and there was no difference.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

ImageIMG_0023 by Alex Vardanis, on Flickr

Got it. I'll go back and see what I did to get the BBCode.

OK. I expanded the picture (two opposing arrows at the upper right corner). Then I chose "View on Photo Page. Now the share button gives me a BBCode choice and a size choice.
Bingo!!!
Last edited by oldfishbrain on 01/10/17 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

You are almost there Alex, you need to touch your photo to bring you to the screen you posted earlier and use the down arrow to the one to right of what you chose before. Then you can choose the download size and once it's on the screen go to the link which will enlarge to include a link with a .jpg extension, select all when copying this link and use it to post the photo. If you are using the forums Full Editor using the icon for photo insertion automatically utilizes the correct format, if using the quick reply you must use them by typing the correct one in front of the link and after it w/o spaces or you get junk these are what is needed . Here is what I got as the link when I did it. [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] don't use spaces I had to so you could see what I meant.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/486/3135 ... ac_z_d.jpg

Use that as the link with my method and you will get the results I got whet I posted it. I hate Photobucket because it bombs out too much, Flickr is much more stable but a little trickier to move around in, regards.
banjo

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Re:Another trial

Post by oldfishbrain »

Done the right way, eliminating unwanted particulars of the URL.
BTW that's a nice bull trout isn't it? The first fish on a new 7/8 wt nodeless rod made specifically for this trip last winter.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Excellent and very nice bull trout
banjo

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

fishnbanjo wrote:You are almost there Alex, you need to touch your photo to bring you to the screen you posted earlier and use the down arrow to the one to right of what you chose before. Then you can choose the download size and once it's on the screen go to the link which will enlarge to include a link with a .jpg extension, select all when copying this link and use it to post the photo. If you are using the forums Full Editor using the icon for photo insertion automatically utilizes the correct format, if using the quick reply you must use them by typing the correct one in front of the link and after it w/o spaces or you get junk these are what is needed . Here is what I got as the link when I did it. [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] don't use spaces I had to so you could see what I meant.

Use that as the link with my method and you will get the results I got whet I posted it. I hate Photobucket because it bombs out too much, Flickr is much more stable but a little trickier to move around in, regards.
banjo
Banjo... I've tried several times, and see a link after I download the photo image... when I try to move my cursor over the link, it disappears... I'm storing a couple photos in an Album in Flickr... does it matter what I store these?

Ed

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Eperous wrote:
fishnbanjo wrote:You are almost there Alex, you need to touch your photo to bring you to the screen you posted earlier and use the down arrow to the one to right of what you chose before. Then you can choose the download size and once it's on the screen go to the link which will enlarge to include a link with a .jpg extension, select all when copying this link and use it to post the photo. If you are using the forums Full Editor using the icon for photo insertion automatically utilizes the correct format, if using the quick reply you must use them by typing the correct one in front of the link and after it w/o spaces or you get junk these are what is needed . Here is what I got as the link when I did it. [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] don't use spaces I had to so you could see what I meant.

banjo
Banjo... I've tried several times, and see a link after I download the photo image... when I try to move my cursor over the link, it disappears... I'm storing a couple photos in an Album in Flickr... does it matter what I store these?

Ed
After many trys, and failures, Dave49's thread at the top of this category helped me finally figure out Flickr and post a photo... now, if I can only repeat that performance, then the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" will be total hogwash, IMO...

Thanks Dave49!

Ed

rodwrapper

Post by rodwrapper »

I took pics with samsung8 and I got them on Flikr but on my laptop there are no pics. Since i uploaded to flikr shouldnt the pics be there regardless? Also is there a app to use for this site? every page I have to enlarge pages to view?
Thanks Dave

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Hi Dave,

I use the Flickr phone app (iPhone) and am able to see all of my pictures with either a PC or my phone, regardless of what device I used to upload them to Flickr.

Can you see your pictures on phone's Flickr app that were uploaded from your PC? Is your phone app signed into the same Flickr account that your PC uses?

That's a bit of a head scratcher...

Brian

Return to “Technical Support”