photos loaded through PI on board

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

photos loaded through PI on board

Post by bassman »

Mark or anyone, can you tell me why some photos you load as thumbs through Post Image link on forum will be fine when you click them but the size you get is all you get. Other photos you have an option of + when you hover on them to click and double the size of the image. Really weird was the other day I loaded two pictures of different views of a fly and one picture had the option of blowing up and the other didn't.

Nick

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: photos loaded through PI on board

Post by ibookje »

I prefer pictures that's just shown in full size within the topic rather than having to click on a thumbnail and the picture being opened in the website of Postimage.
Extra steps to be done and time consuming as well. Especially when there are multiple pictures!

I still don't get people don't read this simple step-by-step:

Don't use anything else but the 'direct link' button!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

ibookje, I have no problem with your choice of how to post pics. I don't agree with it though. There are many people who post 8 or 10 pics of an expensive rod, or several pics of different items. Doing it your way makes for a huge thread that you have to scroll through to see everything. I prefer to have the thumbnails, and by far most do it that way, and just open those I'm interested in seeing. The way you do it the pic is half the size of the post. Using thumbnails gives you a much bigger picture when you open. Also, some of them when you open even give you a (+) on pic that lets you do a magnified inspection of an item.

To each his own but I'll stick with the thumbnails and am glad most do. It is not lack of knowledge that we don't bring in a half size picture directly but rather choice. Yes, I've read your posts on this before but never explained my choice.

Nick

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

bassman wrote:ibookje, I have no problem with your choice of how to post pics. I don't agree with it though. There are many people who post 8 or 10 pics of an expensive rod, or several pics of different items. Doing it your way makes for a huge thread that you have to scroll through to see everything. I prefer to have the thumbnails, and by far most do it that way, and just open those I'm interested in seeing. The way you do it the pic is half the size of the post. Using thumbnails gives you a much bigger picture when you open. Also, some of them when you open even give you a (+) on pic that lets you do a magnified inspection of an item.

To each his own but I'll stick with the thumbnails and am glad most do. It is not lack of knowledge that we don't bring in a half size picture directly but rather choice. Yes, I've read your posts on this before but never explained my choice.

Nick
Another reason for thumbnails is download time for mobile device users. Big pics=long wait time.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

bassman wrote:ibookje, I have no problem with your choice of how to post pics. I don't agree with it though. There are many people who post 8 or 10 pics of an expensive rod, or several pics of different items. Doing it your way makes for a huge thread that you have to scroll through to see everything.
Jaimec wrote:Another reason for thumbnails is download time for mobile device users. Big pics=long wait time.
The 'big' pictures is not big in bytes at all. Generally around 100Kb, hardly anything to worry about in download time.

Opening a thumbnail in the website of the hosting page you open all the stuff that comes around like ads, page data etc. Why bother with this?... ???

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

ibookje wrote:Opening a thumbnail in the website of the hosting page you open all the stuff that comes around like ads, page data etc. Why bother with this?... ???
This is true is some but only a few cases. I am yet to figure out why by far the majority of thumbnails opened that were posted through the board link are clean and picture only. I agree with you that some come through with a bunch of scanty ladies around the picture you opened trying to get you to come to their site. It only happens rarely and there is a post right now that opens that way and I've talked to the OP and he's tried a couple of different ways to load but the advertising ladies always come through. I may write Post Image to see if there is a simple answer to this so it can be avoided.

Nick

ps...I just went through over a dozen pics on Classified and not a single thumb brought any ads with them.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I have been using the "hotlinks for forums" option to post pictures ever since I've been using Postimage. It is not correct that the only way to post full sized pictures it to use the "direct link" option.Image
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Well there's not much different. What 'Hotlink for forums' does is that the picture is 'linked'. If you click on the picture the website of the hosting site will be opened.
bassman wrote:I am yet to figure out why by far the majority of thumbnails opened that were posted through the board link are clean and picture only. I agree with you that some come through with a bunch of scanty ladies around the picture you opened trying to get you to come to their site.
ps...I just went through over a dozen pics on Classified and not a single thumb brought any ads with them.
The idea of 'saving up' data (download time) using thumbnails is just skin deep. Not only does opening up the picture in the website of the picture hosting company result in more than just loading the picture. Going back to the topic often also means parts of the topic will be opened again (not everything is kept in the cache of your browser). Let's not talk about the 'sexy pictures' :)

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

ibookje wrote:Well there's not much different. What 'Hotlink for forums' does is that the picture is 'linked'. If you click on the picture the website of the hosting site will be opened.
bassman wrote:I am yet to figure out why by far the majority of thumbnails opened that were posted through the board link are clean and picture only. I agree with you that some come through with a bunch of scanty ladies around the picture you opened trying to get you to come to their site.

The idea of 'saving up' data (download time) using thumbnails is just skin deep. Not only does opening up the picture in the website of the picture hosting company result in more than just loading the picture. Going back to the topic often also means parts of the topic will be opened again (not everything is kept in the cache of your browser). Let's not talk
about the 'sexy pictures' :)
Why in the world would you click on the picture if it is already full size in the post?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That's the difference between 'Direct link'. Why have blue eyes if you could have brown eyes?...

Some people just click on anything and one day they find out their PC has a virus

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Okay if you say so. I use a Mac. The Direct image doesn't seem to work at all for me. I guess you have to go through some extra steps to get the image to display using your method? I posted three attempts at direct link. One just plain, another with the Image
https://s19.postimg.cc/ryx49te37/IMG_0504.jpgImage
Last edited by Titelines on 03/13/18 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed missing bracket on second link

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Just using the "URL" button to post the image will only give you just that - the link put inside the URL forum HTML code.

The reason the image didn't show on your second attempt is that somehow the "[" on the "[/img]" went missing. I added that back in and lo and behold your image showed up.

Not sure where or how you got the code for the third attempt, but it left the leading URL to the image as a plain link. That's not the way this forum software embeds the image in the post. All you need is the direct link to the image, and use the Img button to get the " html code in the body of the email, then paste the image link in between the "][" brackets. You can even type those in by hand if you so desire. The button is just a convenience in the editor.

Mark

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Thanks Mark, but it's just easier to use hotlink to forum. It's one less step for the poster. For those concerned about the postimage website, then they don't need to click on a full sized image or get good,up to date antivirus software. I always have it on my PC, but I use the Mac for surfing the web and run scans weekly.
As far as the codes, there were four attempts. One hotlinks to forums that worked originally. Next I copied the direct link code from post image and attempted to use just the code which didn't work, then I clicked Img tab and inserted for another attempt (which you fixed by adding a missing bracket), and a final attempt by inserting same code after clicking the URL tab.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Flyslinger, I also use a Mac as well as IOS devices (iPhone, iPad).

After uploading the picture, if you click on the icon (encircled in red), then the 'Direct link' is copied automatically.
All you have to do is paste the link to the picture button in the editing window.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

What picture button in the editing window? Copying the direct link circled in red is exactly how I always have attempted it. Same exact way to copy hotlinks. Unless there's a picture button I'm missing somewhere, this is an extra step I don't think i'll be using. Too much trouble and what i have been doing works fine. if you are afraid of getting a virus from the post image site don't click on the already enlarged image. I'm using ad blocking software and I'm not seeing any scantily clad ladies anyway. Why so worried about someone doing something a different way?
If it ain't broke.........

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

This is how to insert the picture link using the 'insert image' button.

Here's is the video how to do it. Dead simple!
https://youtu.be/pdt9SU-COj0

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

That would be called the Img tab.
Thanks, but I don’t feel the need.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Still no luck
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Used the image icon to post this test photo of antique hooks and it still came as a thumbnail. May be an iPad thing.

Thanks though for the info.

Mike N.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Return to “Technical Support”