merging my old account with my new account

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

Edward Pirie

merging my old account with my new account

Post by Edward Pirie »

Hi,

I had an old account under, "Ed Pirie." My old computer died and with it, my password and access to the "Classic Bamboo Rod Forum." This was about a month ago. Knowing that I would be replacing my old computer, I sent a message on the old computer to a moderator asking for a new password, or a chance to reset my password. This was about a month and a half ago (mid-September). I never heard back and finally, today, I established a new account under "Edward Pirie."

My question is, can my old account be merged with my new account on the "Classic Bamboo Rod Forum?"

I hope this is possible.

Thanks,

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Titelines
Administrator

Re: merging my old account with my new account

Post by Titelines »

Did you read this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=63066

Admins are the only ones who can reset passwords. I posted that back in 2013.

Edward Pirie

Post by Edward Pirie »

I would think maybe an moderator would forward along the request. And no, I obviously did not read the topic. Why answer me back in such a rude way?

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Edward Pirie wrote:I would think maybe an moderator would forward along the request. And no, I obviously did not read the topic. Why answer me back in such a rude way?
I would hope that long time members on this forum would recognize this is the technical support forum and actually read the sticky posts that outline how the admins can help them fix their problems. A post that has been stickied here for 6 years seems to regularly get ignored and causes extra work to get things fixed up.

I have no control over the moderators forwarding me help requests. Most do, some don't. That being said, the only way that your issue could have been fixed is via the method I outlined in the post I stickied above. Once I update your password, there is no way for you to log in since you wouldn't know the new password. That's why I stickied that post back then, so forum members could get their accounts opened back up again with minimum muss and fuss.

Not being rude, just stating the facts. How you take them, is up to you.

Mark

Edward Pirie

Post by Edward Pirie »

Mark,

To be honest, this is my first venture down to the Technical Forum in all the years I have been a member of the Classic Fly Rod Forum. I am usually not comfortable with technical issues. I thought asking for help was the right way to approach my problem. If I was asking the wrong person, then a short reply would have sufficed to steer me in the right direction. I got no answer, no reply, nothing. Finally, I get your reply which if I were to say it was curt, I am being overly kind. Just stating the facts can be rude when someone is asking for help. If your goal is to make this forum an unfriendly place, then you are succeeding.

And, as I said, I thought asking for help was the right thing to do. I have no understanding of the bureaucracy, or lack of on this forum vis-à-vis moderators and administrators. I have been a long-time member, not a problem, but your reply to me was snotty at best. Sorry, but that's the way I took it, and I am not alone.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Ed,

Look at it from the moderator/admin point of view. We put up numerous posts for the members to read when they have issues or problems, and list what they have to do to get them fixed. Posts like that are put here in the technical support forum, and occasionally in the forum announcements. We put fairly detailed instructions on what to do when things happen and what the forum members need to do to get them fixed.

Then the posts are ignored, and the mods or admins have to do extra work to clean up the issue.

Stuff happens, and we understand that, but occasionally forum members need to do a little bit of reading to find how to get things fixed. That's why we put those posts up there, to save both the forum members and the admins time and frustration.

The Technical Support forum is just that - a support forum for when forum members are having problems they can't diagnose on their end, or if they have questions about how the forum works.

Mark

Mark

Return to “Technical Support”