Copying photos from posts

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

WF70
Guide

Copying photos from posts

Post by WF70 »

I'll try this again.
Is there a way I can copy photos from posts here to transfer to a desktop with a larger screen that is easier on old eyes for duplicating on canvas. Android screens are too small. This would not be done without the owner's permission of course.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Copying photos from posts

Post by bassman »

I am not very computer literate but if I right click on a picture I get a whole list of options and the one I use is "save image as". I click on that and a window opens that lets me name and save picture. It then goes to my download file and I can move it to my pictures file and edit as if it was mine. Pictures posted on public sites are not subject to any copyright laws as far as I know though some will put their logo or company name on pictures they prefer not be copied.

Please see my post below. I am not only computer illiterate but also copyright illiterate. Taking a picture off the internet could violate a copyright law but don't know how one knows what is copyrighted and not so your suggestion to contact author might be best. I apologize to those for sounding like I knew what I was talking about.

WF70
Guide

Post by WF70 »

4 am.
Out of a dead sleep. Aha!
Screenshot!
So. After 7 shots of my home screen it finally took one of the photo. One needs to be an octopus to take a screenshot on my phone....or just not be old. Color reproduction is lousy but the painting won't be that accurate anyway.
So ignore my previous post.....and this one also.
And thanks Bassman.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

bassman wrote:.... Pictures posted on public sites are not subject to any copyright laws as far as I know though some will put their logo or company name on pictures they prefer not be copied.
You might want to have your unsolicited legal opinion about copyright law reviewed....

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I received this recently and basically agrees with cwfly. I have no legal opinion of copyright laws and should not make comments that indicate I do. Sorry and do not understand a photo published on public media retaining copyright laws but I do not want to get anyone in trouble with statements made from a lack of solid knowledge. DO NOT copy a photo based on what I said without risking violation of a law.

Nick

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

A long time ago, I copied a live/current photo from the Winston webpage...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Brian Shaffer wrote:A long time ago, I copied a live/current photo from the Winston webpage...
So bragging about ignoring the copyright laws???

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Gnome wrote:
Brian Shaffer wrote:A long time ago, I copied a live/current photo from the Winston webpage...
So bragging about ignoring the copyright laws???
Doesn't it all depend on what he did with the photo?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

What Mark said... If you're downloading photos to your PC for personal use at home, you'll have no problems. Even if it's a photo protected by registered copyright who would know? If you post those same photos online, you better be sure that you're in a fair use situation.

See fair use in this article:
https://www.rivaliq.com/blog/guide-copy ... ne-images/

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I'm here to tell ya' after several searches and a lot of reading, the rules and laws for copyrights and the rules of "fair use" are the typical cloudy legal gobbleygook of so many things written by lawyers. The determination of "fair use" is especially vague and seeming identical cases get different rulings by different courts. I think it's safe to say that copying a picture and then putting it into an open medium without permission is just taking a chance. I thought running across a copy of a picture I'd taken was a compliment but obviously some don't feel that way.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I wouldn't post a photo from a commercial website relying on it for income. You can just post the link to the photo, which is OK.

The vast majority of photos on the Internet are uploaded by individuals like us forum members for public consumption. While these are all automatically copyright protected, I suspect very few people care or even know.

Like many of you, I've put thousands of photos online over the last 20 years. I find them used all over the Internet and could care less. There's a forum member here using a photo of mine for his avatar. I wonder if he knows it's mine?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Greg - can you track the url of your photo and what it is now ?

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

bassman wrote:I'm here to tell ya' after several searches and a lot of reading, the rules and laws for copyrights and the rules of "fair use" are the typical cloudy legal gobbleygook of so many things written by lawyers. The determination of "fair use" is especially vague and seeming identical cases get different rulings by different courts.
Locking posts because fiberglass rods aren't "classic" is based on cloudy gobbleygook to people who don't think it's an important issue. Same thing is true for copyright law and the rules of "fair use." If you don't care about copyright law, then you don't think it matters. But for someone like me, who earns much of his living through his creative work, then copyright law matters, and the basic concepts of fair use are not difficult to comprehend. If you write too much about graphite and fiberglass rods here, you get blocked. If you go too far and step over the line when copying an artist or writer's work, you get sued. It's really the same thing.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

quashnet wrote:If you write too much about graphite and fiberglass rods here, you get blocked. If you go too far and step over the line when copying an artist or writer's work, you get sued. It's really the same thing.
I don't know. Guess I'd rather have a thread of mine locked then to get sued. Not quite the same thing.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Taking a picture from a site and then creating artwork from it would definitely be infringing on the rights of the creative owner of the image - at the very least you should get the image owners permission or would be liable relative to usage (you also might get a better file for your print).

If an image is used for national advertising the usage fee's are in the 10's of thousands - same image for a local small back page ad a few hundred - personal use is subjective as much private art sales are way higher than advertising and why adverting agencies always commission their art. So if that same image has been licensed elsewhere and the owner chose to post it here because they can, then two parties could sue..

Bottom line, its basically stealing.

Return to “Technical Support”