Can't connect behind VPN

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

dale
Master Guide

Can't connect behind VPN

Post by dale »

Hi Mark, just wondering if something was changed. I'm now unable to connect when I use my VPN.

Dale

Titelines
Administrator

Re: Can't connect behind VPN

Post by Titelines »

Nope, nothing's changed in a pretty good while. What errors are you getting, if any?

Mark

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Mark, no error message. I use ExpressVPN. When I use it on my Mac, I am unable to load any Classic Fly Rod Forum pages. When I disable my VPN, as I'm doing now, I am able to load pages.

I think it's on my end. I see now that using ExpressVPN on my ipad allows loading but not my Mac. I'll see what settings are used here.

Thanks,

Dale

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

OK, my ExpressVPN Mac app is choosing UDP rather than TCP in the automatic protocol setting. I'll have to fiddle with this on this end.

Sorry to bug you.

Dale

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

No worries. UDP is generally only for local area networks. It may be used inside your VPN network however.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

OK, UDP now seems to work as well as TCP. I'm glad I don't work in IT!

Dale

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

LOL! Ya never know where the gremlins will bite. Probably a VPN server glitch.

Mark

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

OK, old thread, but a similar issue. Mark, you've been very helpful in the past, so I'm hoping that you might shed some light on this. When I loaded the board index, I got this message:

"You have been permanently banned from this board.
Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.
A ban has been issued on your IP address."

I was pretty sure that I didn't make any particularly inflammatory posts. Also, the IP address sentence suggested my VPN, which is the same one I've used for years. I direct connected using my ISP, and was successful.

Was this initiated by the board host, or is this specific to this forum? Just a pain to disconnect every time I load this forum.

Dale

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Sounds like your VPN IP address has been blacklisted. You need to get with your VPN provider and let them know that their IP address block has been blacklisted.

Mark

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Dale, I'm having similar problems I never used to have. Have to turn VPN connect on to get on here okay, then have to turn it off to get on Autotradrer. I get message m IP is banned on Spamhaus if I go through the VPN. Don't know how all that stuff works but it's a PITA.

Nick

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Nick,

Same response I gave to Dale. Your VPN provider's range of IP addresses have been blacklisted by Spamhaus. You need to contact your VPN provider and let them know that some or all of their IP addresses they've been assigned have been blacklisted.

Mark

Return to “Technical Support”