Data leak?

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Data leak?

Post by flyslinger »

Yesterday when I was signing in, I got a message that said there was a "data leak" associated with this forum and it advised me to change my password. Is this accurate?
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

perfesser
Guide

Re: Data leak?

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

It looked like the regular website sign in page but in red letters was a little announcement about the data leak and changing the password. I have a burner password here, so no big deal, and I have tried signing in a couple of times today and have not gotten that message.
It's just curious that it happened once.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Never seen that one here before either. Not a message I generated, nor do I think it's one the board came up with. I'll do some investigating.

Mark

1983arch

Post by 1983arch »

Got hit with it as well today.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Nothing mentioned on the phpBB admin forum about something like this. Not sure where it's coming from. If it happens to anyone else again, can you grab a screen shot and post it here to help track it down?

thanks,
Mark

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

What web browser are you using? A new "feature" added to Firefox around version 75 or so was a background check to see if login info may have been compromised.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I'm using Safari on an Apple product. It may have been my phone or MacBook. I can't remember which.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

flyslinger wrote:
11/11/20 09:08
I'm using Safari on an Apple product. It may have been my phone or MacBook. I can't remember which.
Ok. It's possible they have something similar, especially since Apple is an "ecosystem" and wants you to have an AppleId/account/email to sync everything.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I believe I read Apple's IOS 14 software update will warn you if a password you use has been hacked and calls it a "data breach". There was also some issue with Safari using iOS 13. Try searching with something like "safari data leak".

I also read some where you can check to see if the dark web knows about your password here ..https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Best practice is make complex passwords and do not re-use them.

John

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This is an unsecured site. If I lose the site and have to sign-in my Bitdefender will not let go here until I accept responsibility for any adverse actions. There are a couple of sites like this. It means they can accessed by anyone and anything can be read. I'm fine with this but some are not. I get a message I have 19 compromised passwords. They are all on unsecured sites and not related to any passwords on secured sites.

Return to “Technical Support”