Help on making the Classifieds a less anonymous place

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

drifly
Sport

Re: Help on making the Classifieds a less anonymous place

Post by drifly »

JMQ4 I’m not sure what leaving the asking price in the ad after the item has sold. Depending on the item I’ve accepted as well as declined less than asking price offers on items so references are only as good the sellers fair reasonable asking prices.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Base on a challenge in-play at this moment

1. I do not believe the ads should be deleted.
2. Like Uber, Speypages and other places, replies and thus ratings should be visible. Maynot stop the first scam, but others can be warned,

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

reelsmith wrote:
09/26/21 16:34
When in doubt, ask for a phone number and talk to the buyer/seller. I've found that very helpful. You can tell a lot in a phone call.

First rule of buying: buy the seller.

First rule of selling: buy the buyer.

For anyone who has not heard these phrases, it just means if you don't have confidence in the person you will be dealing with, don't deal with them.

That being said, I've only been screwed here once and I didn't even tell the seller. I just chalked it up to a lesson learned from not asking enough questions. I let my guard down.

Dean.
This is good advice. One can tell a lot from a conversation.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The telephone conversation is the best. Not just to iron out the details.

One of the main difficulties is in reading of The Rules before posting, as it labeled as REQUIRED READING.

Here is the forum classifieds Rules UPDATED link from top of Classified Page- viewtopic.php?f=97&t=57812

If someone really reads those they do think twice.
I have seen it happen. # 6 trips them up - and # 12.

Perhaps a Check This Box to continue / I am not a Robot type box.
Meaning that they agreed to the rules we have set forth here - and probably read them.

Thanks to everyone for reading this and contributing. Together we can make a difference.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

RBishop
Sport

Post by RBishop »

I had a terrible experience with a regular poster/seller here on the forum. He still sells here most every week it seems. I avoid him like the plague. I still have a photo of the evidence where he scammed me, with his name and address. Never have known what to do with it. I have tried to let it just slide into the past but every time I see him posting something for sale I think about the crook.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

FYI - you can avoid a user entirely by clicking the IGNORE button.
You will not see another post from that person again.
-update- use the FOE list in your User Control Panel to IGNORE a user

:wave

This thread shows how easy it is for two parties go create a deal and what can happen if you are not careful.

There is no board safety net.

Plan accordingly.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
11/12/21 08:28
FYI - you can avoid a user entirely by clicking the IGNORE button.
You will not see another post from that person again.
-update- use the FOE list in your User Control Panel to IGNORE a user
If you "FOE" another user, does that other user get notified? There's one very annoying user here that I'd like to just ignore, but not antagonize.

Dale

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

dale, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
(above is what you see from a FOE)

* Way more fun to figure out the FRIENDS list... believe me.

Take a step back and read over these posts...

Now start over with a better idea from this point forward.

There is no board safety net.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Escrow services are available (look online) but add significant cost.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Here is to smarter deals and improved tackle for everyone in the new year to come.

And a big Thank You to the MODS here for putting up with the Classifieds in 2021...

We will do better in 2022.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

As the mod who spends the most time reviewing ads on Classified and making sure they comply with the established rules I can see worth in almost every suggestion but allowing discourse would only load the forum with bargaining and bickering that should be done with PMs. The single thing I see in these posts that I am in 100% agreement with is a post count before placing ad but it would not eliminate the biggest scam out there today and that is the WTB ads getting scammed by people who know someone who has just that item. It would be nice if we could block PMs from someone who joined with no posts just to scam a WTB but don't know if that's even possible.

For the most part the Classified function as a benefit to members who have items of value they've either not using anymore or wishing a change. When using the Classified you are on your own. Look to see if seller is a long time member or just jumped in. Do the followups, especially on pricey items suggested by others in this thread. Check out buyer as well as new members with your WTB item are especially questionable.

If there was one other thing I would do on Classified is make it a personal vehicle for members dealing in their own items and not businesses using it as a free outlet for their products. I feel it should be a member to member way for us to share our items with each other and not commercial transactions.

Nick

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

I hang out on a couple of vintage watch forums--where watches will sell from $500 to $50K, and where $4-12K is the sweet spot. Among the rules at the Omega forum are:

1) 200 post minimum to sell. By the time you get there, people know who you are.
2) Ads all have excellent photos and cannot be deleted; they stay as part of the forum archive (and are very useful when searching past sales and prices)
3) Both sellers and buyers alike are often asked to provide selling/buying references
4) Comments are allowed in sales threads--and they are civil, even when calling out misrepresentations
5) Personal sales and professional sales have two separate pages for listings--so dealers have their own page.

It's a pretty smooth operation.

bb

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Wow, this is really bad, no point in ever looking for something appropriate for sale under this area.
I thought classifieds for sale was to sell fly fishing tackle of all sorts.
Mike

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

This was a post to help people be more aware... and it is clearly working.

It still works just like you remember Mike, WE are still using it.

Return to “Technical Support”