Help on making the Classifieds a less anonymous place

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Help on making the Classifieds a less anonymous place

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I have no idea what the Mods would think of to help the Classifieds be more transparent in setting up a transaction.
Exploring some ideas on making the Classifieds a less vulnerable place.

Possibly set up a way for those who wish to volunteer information could do so ?
Information needed to facilitate a vetted transaction ?

To ease one's mind that they know who they are dealing with.

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Arubey
Guide

Re: Help on making the Classifieds a less anonymous place

Post by Arubey »

A feature I find valuable on other forums (not fly fishing related) is the ability for sellers/buyers to rate their transactions with each other. Of course it's not foolproof and I imagine there could be hassles if one participant in the transaction sees things differently than the other. And I have no idea if it's possible or what it would take to implement such a feature on this forum.

But even with the classifieds as-is, I've yet to have an issue with a buyer or seller. A few simple steps like shying away from posts which took little effort and lack key information, avoiding unresponsive buyers/sellers, and perhaps considering the quality and quantity of posts a member has made to the forum seems to have worked out so far.

best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

MKA
Sport

Post by MKA »

Other forums require members to have a minimum number of posts (usually 25) before they can post an item for sale on the forum. Not a bad idea because it allows members to get to know and trust the seller, and it is somewhat of a deterrent for those who are unethical and join only for a quick scam.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I can understand the reasoning behind this topic as I've personally experienced transactions gone south. Bamboo rods can be pricey and in the wrong (inexperienced) hands become damaged or compromised, or as we've seen, stolen. The same goes for rare items not easily replaced. Having a safety net would be nice, as it sometimes feels like a "crap shoot" sending a rod or reel to an unknown entity. On this forum, I've had nothing but excellent dealings with members and my comfort level trust wise is fine. There is always going to be a scam artist lurking about and unfortunately flushing them out is tough as they've gotten creative and crafty. Again, I can hear Brian's concerns loud and clear.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I think having a 25 minimum post requirement is a good one.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I think having a 25 minimum post requirement is a good one.
+1
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

+2

I've shied away from several items of interest from sellers with only a couple posts to their name.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

And someone comes along looking to sell Dad's Leonard 40L at a good price, but doesn't want to stick around long enough to accumulate 25 posts. The vast majority of the problems seem to come from the scammer buyers, and not the sellers. A 25 post minimum to post in the Classifieds would do absolutely nothing to eliminate that problem.

Mark

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

The post count is there for each member. You could make this a self imposed rule if you wish to. Only buy from known members if that is your preference. I prefer to "pick" rods which haven't yet seen the "collector market", but this does come with risks as well as rewards. It's best done in person, and you will still still kiss a few frogs.

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

I like the seller ratings idea. But i have no idea the amount of work that would entail for Admin.

The first thing I look at when I see someone selling, is their join date and number of posts they have.
Then I "creep" their posts if they don't have a lot in order to get an idea if they're legit.

So far, I've always had great interactions with selling/buying here.

Thanks for the site Titelines!
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I don't place a lot of value in numerical ratings for casual transactions because I think you can tell quite a bit about a seller with existing posts.If you come here on a regular basis then you already know a lot about the active members, and which have an established 'track record'. We like ratings because they theoretically eliminate the guesswork about who will be more likely to buy or sell in a manner that satisfies our needs and wants. To that I say, we have a 3 day return privilege. If you don't like it, you ship it back. Should it take three days? Not unless someone is out of town.You are as guaranteed as can be in an online transaction. I see my doctor twice a year and some years back I stopped taking "a few minutes" to fill out another stupid survey rating my most recent visit. (Ebay started all this and somehow has never asked users to rate ebay themselves. No mystery there. Then they wanted you to rate the item you bought.)
Enough already!! No more ratings or surveys for me.

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

"To that I say, we have a 3 day return privilege"-- except when that privilege is denied, as it was to me by a member of the board who was not a new or unknown member. He sent a "mint" Phillipson-made rod that had rusted guides, and refused to take it back. I had no recourse except to avoid that person again at all costs (literally). That said, I've only been burned twice in transactions on this board; unfortunately neither time was it by someone new to this otherwise fine group. I do like the idea of creating greater transparency for the few times when a transaction goes south.

Tom

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

A regular member here stiffed me twice on delivery of something I paid for with Paypal. When he gave me the same line about delivering a third time, and failed to do it, I went to Paypal and got a refund. The seller didn't like it. Don't know if he learned anything from that or not. I certainly did.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hmm, the last 2 posting raise concern for me as I personally have had only positive buying and selling experiences using our classifieds and a few of those transactions have been outside of the US. How can we avoid repeating these unacceptable experiences?

Cheers,
Joe

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/17/21 09:13
Hmm, the last 2 posting raise concern for me as I personally have had only positive buying and selling experiences using our classifieds and a few of those transactions have been outside of the US. How can we avoid repeating these unacceptable experiences?
Joe

It's a jungle out there.
The transaction I mentioned is the only negative one I've had, but I buy mostly lines and rod hardware because my interests are in the old stuff.
I had one rod returned to me but I was fine with it. He observed the three day period and I granted the return privilege. Not so bad for 16 years but I tend to go with long-familiar names when buying here at the board. Not so sure you can guarantee happy endings every time.

Jeff

In the film
Sport

Post by In the film »

A jungle indeed. I recently purchased a “vintage” rod from a member here (over 200 posts). Upon inspection, I immediately noticed numerous inconsistencies. The seller had blocked PMs, and I had paid with a check, so I was stuck.

A few thoughts:

Should PayPal (or similar) be required for some/all transactions, as it has a dispute resolution process?

A 3 day inspection period should be sufficient for most transactions, but what about a longer period for issues of authenticity? Such issues may require more time to research. Furthermore, what reasonable seller would object to a longer inspection period when the authenticity is in question?

Are sellers/buyers who are responsible for problematic transactions blocked from further using classifieds (or even from forum in some cases)?

Is there a required timeframe for sellers to ship? Requirement for a tracking number on some/all transactions?

In the above mentioned rod purchase, I was assured that well known and trusted dealer had vouched for the rod’s authenticity, and I did not ask any follow-up questions- a big mistake. A buyers/sellers guide in a sticky could help both parties, particularly for rods and reels, which seem to comprise the majority of high dollar transactions.

The sticky could provide important questions to ask (buyer) and information to provide (seller). For (a rod) example, where did you obtain it, provide very detailed photos, a receipt and or provenance, actual length of the rod assembled, node configuration, signs of a refinish/wear on blemishes on the cane or finish, any loose guides, etc.? Similar could be created for reels.

This particular transaction was a very upsetting and eye opening experience, and I appreciate Brian and others for putting some good thought into the topic.

Bill

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Back in the really old days we could establish an directory - without much worry.

But now I just keep thinking of how easy it is from the reverse angle... from the bad guys mind at how we are potential soft targets...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

In 19 years on the forum, I have only been stuck twice for books. Once the guy was moving and somehow lost it in the shuffle the other time it was a "bad" member that several if us had an issue with who has now been gone a long time.

I once had a rod returned as the guy didn't like the way it casted; no harm nor foul, and it was returned as shipped(custom made rod).

This group of longer term members are the cream of the crop, combine that with using Paypal for people you do not know and our Classified is rather awesome.

Just my 2 cents.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

Im rather new here and have posted a couple of WTB ads. But, thats not why I joined. I watch the classifieds and have bought a few things without any issues and have always asked if they take PayPal first, before committing to buy. I am a little Leary of classifieds from people with only a handful of posts, especially if you search their posts and they are all or mostly for sale posts.

I would like to see the selling prices kept in the ads after they have sold, however, as I have found them to be a helpful resource. I realize that they don't stay on the forum for very long afterwards, but it is nonetheless helpful to see what things are selling for.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

When in doubt, ask for a phone number and talk to the buyer/seller. I've found that very helpful. You can tell a lot in a phone call.

First rule of buying: buy the seller.

First rule of selling: buy the buyer.

For anyone who has not heard these phrases, it just means if you don't have confidence in the person you will be dealing with, don't deal with them.

That being said, I've only been screwed here once and I didn't even tell the seller. I just chalked it up to a lesson learned from not asking enough questions. I let my guard down.

Dean.

Return to “Technical Support”