PM notifications

Use this forum for Q&A of a technical nature, i.e., PC, cache, screen related problems, picture resizing, avatars and the like. We will also post facts here for you and instructions of a how-to nature which should make things more fun for you by eliminating some of the frustration with posting photos, etc. Thanks.

Moderator: Titelines

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

PM notifications

Post by PaducahMichael »

Not really a screaming problem, but an observation:

The email notifications of new PM's run anywhere from 6 hours to 48 hours behind the actual posting time.

Is there a way to speed up this delivery?
Bamboo Rod Restoration Service : http://www.caneclinic.com

Admin
Administrator

Re: PM notifications

Post by Admin »

OK, I just checked and there are no errors.

I see that some new anti-spam measures were put in place yesterday by our hosts. By the look of it, a lot of mail was bouncing and some of the changes were undone this morning.

What I need to do is set up another account for board mail and then redirect that to the address/es currently in use. That should then make everyone happy again.

I will try and get that in place within 12 hours.

Scrap all that. I just found another issue. Expect improvement within half an hour.

Changes have been made. This will not affect mail already sent but you should find any notifications sent after now should go through a lot quicker and more reliably.

I have changed the email address used, so you will now be looking for one that ends @classicflyrodforum.com.

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PaducahMichael »

Many thanks. I'm sure everyone will appreciate your efforts. I know I do.

Admin
Administrator

Post by Admin »

I really must thank you for bringing this up.

I had made some changes previously to improve things but these were only part way there with respect to the changes I have made now. After checking things through, I found that my previous changes were no longer there and neither was any log entry for the fact that I had made them. This coincides with another alteration I made to reduce spambot registrations, which also went AWOL and required to be redone.

All I can suggest as this does coincide with a period where people were getting errors and for some reason the database has gone back in time. I've heard no mention of missing posts though, which would be an indicator of this.

The long and the short is that I was able to quite quickly make changes that both ensure mail reliability & speed are improved and we do not fall foul of the new email anti-spam implementations by our host.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

On this note, a fellow Forum friend just received a message I sent him a month or so ago. But it did arrive! Was floating in cyber space for weeks. Can only imagine the places it has been, sights it has seen....

Admin
Administrator

Post by Admin »

You know? I have always wondered that myself! LOL

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

sounds like something Rod Serling could answer.

PaducahMichael
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PaducahMichael »

Admin wrote:You know? I have always wondered that myself! LOL
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with a rift in the time/space continuum.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

PaducahMichael wrote:
Admin wrote:You know? I have always wondered that myself! LOL
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with a rift in the time/space continuum.
It's because the dylithium crystals blew.

Mark

Southbranch
Master Guide

Post by Southbranch »

Rift? I thought it was a manifestation of the uncertainty principle -- during the time between the sending of an email and its receipt, it is uncertain whether it exists or not. If the delivery time extends to infinity, only then do we know for certain that the email never existed.

Seriously though, the email notification delay now seems to be only minutes or hours at the most.

And the forum clock is about 51 minutes slow.

DAK

Re: PM notifications - how long does it take a PM to send?

Post by DAK »

As a newbie to the forum, this may be common knowledge but how long does it take for a PM to send, i.e., from the time I hit submit to the point that it leaves my Outbox and (presumably) gets to the recipient? At this point I am seeing a delay of several hours. Is this normal? Is there a way to speed it up?

Thanks for tutoring.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

Hi Dak,

The PM to another user will show in your "OUTBOX" until that message is read by the recipient.
Once read by the recipient, the message will be in your SENT MESSAGES.

Brian

DAK

Post by DAK »

Excellent - thank you for clarifying.

Return to “Technical Support”