Payne Catalogue

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Random Casts
Master Guide

Payne Catalogue

Post by Random Casts »

Hi,

I have two Payne fold outs from the Frank G. Oram era, 1925 and a 1948 price list. I was planning on having them framed for my fly tying room. Would it be a tragedy to have these dry mounted on the backing in the frame or are there enough of these around not to make that much of a difference?

Your input is appreciated,
Richard
Random Casts

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Re: Payne Catalogue

Post by fishnbanjo »

I’d speak with the framer to see if they could frame them without having to permanently securing the back of either one, they do come around but it would be a shame to downgrade their value, regards.
banjo

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

fishnbanjo wrote:I’d speak with the framer to see if they could frame them without having to permanently securing the back of either one, they do come around but it would be a shame to downgrade their value, regards.
banjo
+1 on that.
The survival rate for ephemera is far lower than for rods. Unlike rods, which can be restored and made to look new, damaged paper can seldom be made to look right again and even then only at great cost.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Thank you banjo and jeffkn1 for responding.

The framer did suggest an ph balanced acetate wrap for the fold outs and then mounting or as an alternative a conservator tape mounting.

Still trying to figure out what would be best.

So far for the framing, I’m thinking of a Payne brown background for the fold outs to rest on, a primrose yellow tipping matt, followed by a very thin maroon tipping matt just like the Payne rod signature wrap and the main matt will be a neutral grey linen.

Back to the framer I go!
Richard
Random Casts

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Ummm... sounds like you need to get out fishing.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Fishing?

I blew the driveway this morning.....if I want to go fishing I’m going to have to blow the driveway again...oh wait...it’s winter...there is no fishing!

Idle hands.

Richard
Random Casts

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

Random Casts wrote:Thank you banjo and jeffkn1 for responding.

The framer did suggest an ph balanced acetate wrap for the fold outs and then mounting or as an alternative a conservator tape mounting.

Still trying to figure out what would be best.

So far for the framing, I’m thinking of a Payne brown background for the fold outs to rest on, a primrose yellow tipping matt, followed by a very thin maroon tipping matt just like the Payne rod signature wrap and the main matt will be a neutral grey linen.

Back to the framer I go!
Richard
Got the catalogues back from the framer. There are some reflections from the back wall of other artwork on the piece and the light streaks above both catalogues are from the Mylar envelopes.

Richard
Random Casts

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”