Dating a Payne rod

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

JimP
Sport

Dating a Payne rod

Post by JimP »

I Love Jim Payne rods. As he died in 1968 and the E.F. Payne rod company continued producing rods (even today?) how do you date a rod? As expensive as they are I woulkd like to know if Jim Payne was alive when it was made. I know there are rods marked "Sold by A&F " and "Made for A&F" and some with only the Payne insignia on the reel seat. Any help here would be greatly apporeciated.

Best,

Jim

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dating a Payne rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

Jim,
Several ways, the bag color, the furniture used on the reel seat, the ferrules, color of the bamboo, the model number and weight of the rod and sometimes information on the tag, photos of all of those would help.............

JimP
Sport

Dating a Payne rod

Post by JimP »

How do I send a pic?

Jim

JimP
Sport

Dating a Payne rod

Post by JimP »

Here's the description-- Jim

E.F. PAYNE ROD CO. MODEL #202 Serial #80189, 8' 3 PC 2 TIP 5/6 WT. Medium fast dry fly action. 4 3/8 oz. Rod has had a very nice overcoat of varnish at some point. Marked on butt cap "Sold by A & F N.Y. Very nice flamed cane. All sections full length and straight. Ferrules fist very smoothly. Wrapped in Payne Brown Silks and tipped Golden Yellow. Blue Nickel Silver ferrules. Cigar cork grip with Blued Nickel Silver Slide band reelseat with Cedar wood spacer. Rod comes in original cloth rod bag with hangtag. Stored in original labeled brass capped aluminum rod tube. This is a very nice rod for the fisherman or collector.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Dating a Payne rod

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Jim, if you wish, send me a few photos and I'll be happy to post them for you.

rjacobsen13 at comcast dot net
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Dating a Payne rod

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dating a Payne rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

I'd say late 50's to 1960 but would need to see it in person for final judgment... I am moving this into the Payne forum.

JimP
Sport

Dating a Payne rod

Post by JimP »

O.K., thanks very much.

Jim

Beau

Dating a Payne rod

Post by Beau »

I have my grandfathers Payne 10' 3/2 Salmon/Trout rod with optional Fighting Butt that was handed down to me
many years ago but as I'm not a fly fisherman or collector I know little about the rod itself as to the model or
it's year of production.
I know that it was used in Canada and out west by my grandfather for his open-water fishing ( I know he fished
a lot during the 1930's, and earlier, in the streams of the Catskills as well as in Canada during those years but that is
about all I know of his fishing exploits or of this rod.
The real seat is marked    Sold by H.&D. Folsom Arms Co. New York    and has an 8 stamped along the side
of the rear real seat and on the face of the end cap that removes to install the Fighting Butt and has    
                                                                                                E.F.Payne
                                                                                                     Rod
                                                                                            E.F.Payne Rod Co
                                                                                                   Makers

on the face of the real seat right below the cork grip.  The rod has a red agate stripper.
The rod has the rod tube and the bag but no tag.The rod appears to be in very good condition with what I
would consider normal varnish aging for the era.

Is it possible from what I have included to approximate the year(s) it was made ?

I was hoping that my son would pick up his g.grandfathers love of fly fishing and would like to have this
rod when he got older and had the time to enjoy it, but like me, his interests are with other things.
For this reason I am going to sell the rod and would like to know approximately when it was made
for a future buyer's information.
I realize that at 10 foot it isn't as desirable as the shorter lenghts but for a collector that wants to round
out his Payne collection it just might be ?

I'm not a photographer but I've taken a few photos of the rod and accessories but don't know how to
send them to your site ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beau

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dating a Payne rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

Beau,

Send them to Dickerson7613 at netscape dot net replace spaces and at with @ and spaces and dot with . I'll post them for you.

Beau

Dating a Payne rod

Post by Beau »

Thanks Banjo - I sent them out this morning

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Dating a Payne rod

Post by fishnbanjo »

I got them and will get them up today, first observation places it in the 30's but I have to give them a better look and will expand on my thoughts once the photos are up.

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”