Beau's Payne Rod images

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by fishnbanjo »

Given the fact it does not have a rod tube and has the canvas carry sack with a tip tube I still think the 30's but need to dig into my catalogs to see if there is any differences in the 10' Salmon Rod from the 1931 to 1935 catalog. Nice looking rod Beau.

Beau

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by Beau »

Thank you Banjo for posting my photos. I'm sure that the Model will have to be determined if and when the year has been established ?

I was told that my grandfather carried his two Payne rods in a telescopic case made of some hard fiber material(?) but the family did not know what had become of either - only knowing that the other rod was shorter but not it's actual length and the same lack of information came in regards to his reels.

Beau

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by fishnbanjo »

The only thing my catalogs did was clear up the model it is a model 216 and since it is not offered in the next catalog, 1950, I assume it was available until WWII started.

Beau

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by Beau »

From what I remember this fits in with this rod as my grandfather's traveling seems to have ended around the time WW11 began and he only fished the smaller Catskill streams closer to home for a few more years afterwards and I would assume he would have used his shorter/lighter Payne rod for these streams ?

As I had previously mentioned I am going to offer this rod for sale. Based upon what photos I've sent can you give me some idea of a fair price to ask ?

Beau

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by fishnbanjo »

Generally 10' rods have a stigma but since this can be used as a one handed and two handed rod it might not, let me do a bit of catalog research from the past several months I believe there was a 10' Payne in one.

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by fishnbanjo »

Well, I checked and reread every catalog in the last 6 months and the only thing I can say is it seems to run in the $395-425 range, sorry it's not the best news but it's a tough time for really long rods unless you advertise on places like Spey Pages where that is what they want to use. Regards..............

Beau

Beau's Payne Rod images

Post by Beau »

Banjo, Thank you for all your help and research and I'm sorry for the delay in responding but I was out of town. As you say the prices aren't that high so I'll just hold on to it and continue to enjoy the conversation piece its
been for many years until the right person comes along that wants to add another Payne to his/her collection. 

Here's wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year.

Beau

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”