"Home Waters" by John Maclean

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

"Home Waters" by John Maclean

Post by Hellmtflies »

You have it, the son of Norman Maclean has published the family history so to speak. Being published this year will be "Home Waters" by John Maclean. I was fortunate to have received a copy of the advanced readers edition. Published by Custom House. For those of you who have been affected by "A River Runs Through It" you may want to seriously put this book on you wish list. It delves into the entire background of the family. After completing this read I thought that perhaps it would have been fun to have plowed through this one first before reading "The River". That said, this book does remind me of various parts of the movie and the book that started same. Check it out when you can. I suspect it will be out sometime later this year.
Mark

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Re: "Home Waters" by John Maclean

Post by Shoeless Joe »

For those who might want a signed or personalized copy, John said that ‘Home Waters’ will be listed on his website sometime in April, after he’s finished “rebuilding” the site.
http://johnmacleanbooks.com/

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

In addition, the engravings to accompany the text by Wes Bates should prove to be very beautifully done. Due in June.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Why does John Maclean write about fire? Was 'Young Men and Fire' better than 'A River Runs Through It?'

Jay Edwards

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

bluesjay wrote:
03/30/21 19:59
Hi Guys, Why does John Maclean write about fire? Was 'Young Men and Fire' better than 'A River Runs Through It?'

Jay Edwards
Hi Jay,
I believe he does this as a way of continuing to finish a book his father Norman was trying to complete. The
"Man Gulch Fire" on the Missouri was an inspiring issue for his father. I could be wrong here but that is what I am in the understanding of.
Mark

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

bluesjay wrote:

Jay Edwards
John Maclean wrote a number of books about forest fires...Fire and Ashes; Fire on the Mountain. Interesting reads

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

bluesjay wrote:
Hi Guys, Why does John Maclean write about fire?...
Jay, perhaps it's because he spent most of his working life writing & reporting for the Chicago Tribune ... that & like his father, who at the end was a Chicagoan through & through, John Maclean, though he lives near D.C., possesses a heart that's genetically affixed to the Rocky Mountain West.

As previously mentioned, his books are “interesting reads” & much of this interest stems from what can best be described as a continuation of investigative reporting, as he dissects the particulars of each fire & where need be, holds the feet of culpable individuals, agencies & institutions to the fire, so to speak. Laying aside the press badge, Maclean personalizes the catastrophic fires by introducing readers to & then into the truncated worlds of each Hotshot who died doing what they literally loved & lived to do.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys,

"Perhaps it is not odd, at the end of this tragedy where nothing much was left of the elite who came from the sky but courage struggling for oxygen, that I have often found myself thinking of my wife on her brave and lonely way to death." Norman Maclean

Jay Edwards

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

bluesjay wrote:
03/31/21 20:45
Hi Guys,

"Perhaps it is not odd, at the end of this tragedy where nothing much was left of the elite who came from the sky but courage struggling for oxygen, that I have often found myself thinking of my wife on her brave and lonely way to death." Norman Maclean

Jay Edwards
Yes, agreed - a beautiful passage that I often think of - in a book that just captures you on so many levels that really matter. Have the audio book - in cassettes - worn from many readings...
Thank you for reminding me of that section, image and meaning...

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

John’s website has been updated to now include signed Home Waters pre-orders & additional ‘galleries’ entries: https://johnmacleanbooks.com/?fbclid=Iw ... gKkkhCfYW4

As one who has read his Fire books, this ALA Booklist review is bang on:
“His Hemingway-esque prose is as clear as a mountain stream, flowing with a poetic cadence and lyrically describing the many splendid natural treasures to be found under the Big Sky. A sure bet for readers who enjoy American and natural history and a must-read for fishing enthuiasts.”

Return to “Book Talk”