Books @ what it was like 'Back in the Day' 1800's-1960's

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Books @ what it was like 'Back in the Day' 1800's-1960's

Post by norcal_1 »

Booman2 wrote:Norcal, you listed some truly great stuff! "I know Bill Schaadt" is one of them (I knew him) and Rivers of a Lost Coast is another. Jim Adams did some of the work on the latter and it is a masterpiece, IMO.
You listed a few others that I agree with, and it's always good to sit down with a glass of wine in the evening and read about the days when we had 1000+ steelhead in most of our west coast rivers.
Thanks.
I'm good friends with Jim (he's a national fly fishing treasure) and watched the RLC movie, but will have to read the book, too, to see what they left on the cutting room floor. I mentioned Bill Schaadt's book on a prior post.

Another fantastic book is Charlie Brook's book below which I was thumbing through this weekend,,,, his distilled knowledge of 50 years of fly fishing - more so than how the title makes it appear to be only about larger fish....not the case at all. Pearls of wisdom throughout.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Arthur Carhart's 'Fishing in the West' is by the guy who is said to have first proposed 'Wilderness' designations for federal lands. It's a great read.

https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-West-Art ... B0007FUS4Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Carhart

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/arthur ... gvEALw_wcB#/

He also wrote: https://www.biblio.com/book/fresh-water ... PxEALw_wcB

He lived in Denver. Former forum member 'Sandy Mite' was acquainted with him.

Jay Edwards

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

TC Hofland's "British Anglers Manual" 1830's-40's a great read and some of the coolest woodcuts and steel engravings ever printed in an angling book, I recommend it highly!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Books @ what it was like 'back in the day'

Post by Flykuni3 »

norcal_1 wrote:
03/28/18 21:44
Hemingway's son tells of fishing trips with his father and thereafter, most 1940's-60's
"He takes 280 pages to get himself to 30 years old, then a hasty 35 more to cover the remaining 33"

I found Jack Hemingway's book a great read, esp his WW ll madness operating behind the lines. Most fascinating was that he operated in the area where the Go For Broke 442nd was in combat in eastern France, and actually ran into some of them shortly before he was taken prisoner. I've visited that area a few times, and can picture exactly where he was.

Just about all of the old vets have passed now, and am sorry I can't ask around to see if any of them remember Hemingway.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Books @ what it was like 'Back in the Day' _Cruising the Wilderness1800's-1960's

Post by Eric Peper »

As to really "back in the day," I've been enjoying rereading a 1936 copy of Woodcraft: Cruising the Wilderness by "Nessmuk"
aka William Bruett, which covers just about every aspect of hunting, fishing, trapping and wilderness camping. Aside from the obvious absence of modern developments in materials, the information in this little paperback is incredibly accurate to this day with respect to fire and shelter building, food preparation, wilderness camping garb and physically dealing with the elements. Great fun reading!!!

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

If you want to know how to do it right. This book by H.G. McClelland and published in 1898 will show you!

url=https://postimg.cc/dZP9ZC4W]Image[/url]

Flashman
Sport

Post by Flashman »

One of the fascinating parts of Jack Hemingway's book (actually, I believe there are at least two books that share similar material) is his summer of 1941 in Burns, Oregon, pulling chain in a mill owned by one of his college classmate's father. I vaguely recall there were 3 or 4 of them that made the trip from Yale(?). On weekends, they would sometimes take the, at the time, dirt road (now Hwy 20) from Burns to Bend to go to the movies. He also had an interesting experience fly fishing in a nearby desert stream with his buds--had to wet wade up the middle to avoid the multitudes of rattlesnakes inhabiting both banks. Jack's time in Eastern Oregon appears largely forgotten.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Last edited by Flykuni3 on 07/03/20 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I have just one oldie, the Scottish Angler, 1836. In decent shape considering, and fun to see the advice on rods, flies and tackle;; where to go and how to fish; coarse and bait included. By Thomas Todd Stoddard, Esq., Edinburgh. Used to have a 1794 Arte of Angling, but it was stolen in a car break in. (upload problems w pics, sorry).

Image[/url

[url][url=https://postimg.cc/7CmCwmBZ[url=https://postimg.cc/LhzJs9QW]Image
]Image[ :flash /url][/url]

[[url=https://postimg.cc/LhzJs9QW][img] ... .jpg[/img]/url]

[url][url=https://postimg.cc/tnV7dy9s][ ... .jpg[/img][/url][/url]
[urlImage][/url]

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

IIRC, that's one of Gnome's favorites.
I have a well-worn copy of W.C. Stewart's The Practical Angler, or the Art of Fly Fishing, which is instructive in tying and fishing tactics, and a popular source for soft hackle fly patterns. Having read of Stewart long before I acquired the book, the real revelation for me was that the Scots had a better grasp of writing using English language than we did in the 19th century. It was a delight to not have to struggle through it, though I would credit Thaddeus Norris for a job well done and a valuable service at just about the right time, historically speaking.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

There are so many books out there....Ray Bergman, Ed Hewitt, Thaddeus Norris, John Alden Knight, Gaddabout Gaddis.....

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Gadabout Gaddis, a god who walked the earth.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Darrel

if that copy of Stoddard ever needs a home put me on the list!!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ok Gnome.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

I picked this one up recently. It came from the UK, and in a nutshell, it has been in the same families small cottage since the 1800’s. My interest in the book was mainly due to the Authors travels and memoirs fishing the Upper Sacramento and McCloud rivers in the 1870’s.

I was also fortunate to find this little book (#20 of 20 made) which contains just the pages on the Upper Sac and McCloud from the above book!!

Best,
Paul

Michelle

Post by Michelle »

This one's rather nice.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

pmcroberts wrote:
07/06/20 17:54
I picked this one up recently. It came from the UK, and in a nutshell, it has been in the same families small cottage since the 1800’s. My interest in the book was mainly due to the Authors travels and memoirs fishing the Upper Sacramento and McCloud rivers in the 1870’s.

what a find! I'm dying to know what it says / what it was like back then. Details please......

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Hey Norcal!!

I will give you some insight as soon as I get it read!! I have a couple books in front of it, but soon....very soon!! I may actually bring it with me on this months trips to McCloud......seems fitting to read it while on the banks of the McCloud!!

Best,
Paul

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

Ribbons of blue: The life & lore of the "old pro" Pat Barnes

Their lives followed similar, though different, paths. Pat Barnes and Dan Bailey were the ''Old Pros.'' Unlike many of the modern-day fishing crowd, they were more interested in trout than in money, interested in the peole who fly fished for trout, the streams that housed the trout, and the land through which those streams flowed.

The Old Pros loved fly fishing long before it became trendy: before it was important to be well-dressed, use the best gear, fish the best rivers throughout the world with the best fishing guides. Pat and Dan were conservationists before most people thought much about conservation. Collected are their rich stories and valuable wisdom.

Softcover, 175 pages.

Return to “Book Talk”