New Gierach Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

sagegrouse715
Guide

Re: New Gierach Book

Post by sagegrouse715 »

My book arrived from Mike on Monday. I haven't had time to start to read it.

slate river
Master Guide

Post by slate river »

Received my copy two weeks ago from Mike. I will say John's writing is enjoyable as ever.
"God made dogs to steal our hearts and they do."

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

For those very few flyfishermen to whom Gierach is unfamilar, I'd recommend "The View from Rat Lake", T Bum and Sex Death and FFing in that order, and skip the newer ones.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

His new book marks the first time I've shed a legit tear, both times I read that chapter

bamboo slinger
Sport

Post by bamboo slinger »

Very good read. I really like John's writing. He is a great guy to boot. I am reading Harry Middleton's books again; and again and again. John last books make me want to drag a canoe up north for some big headed brookies!

Mark Dankel
Sport

Re: New Gierach Book - Amazon

Post by Mark Dankel »

Amazon has begun shipping pre-orders. Arrived yesterday (6/3/20).

M
Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible. - Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Heddon20
Guide

Re: New Gierach Book - Amazon

Post by Heddon20 »

Mark Dankel wrote:
06/04/20 16:10
Amazon has begun shipping pre-orders. Arrived yesterday (6/3/20).

M
Mine did too.
Brian

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

creakycane wrote:
05/13/20 17:01
For those very few flyfishermen to whom Gierach is unfamilar, I'd recommend "The View from Rat Lake", T Bum and Sex Death and FFing in that order, and skip the newer ones.
I've enjoyed all his books, some better than others... my copy came today and looking forward to reading it...

Ed

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

"OK" I am a huge Gierach fan. But that said, I, like many of you, find this current work a bit quiet regarding laughs etc. Stale might be a better word knowing how very good he can be. Sure, there are a few good thought provoking statements but this lacks the gut busting laughter that we know and love from his earlier work. Still, worth you time.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

From where I sit, John is a much more sophisticated writer but his prose is still whimsical, witty, wise, self-deprecating and classy.
Last edited by PT48 on 06/18/20 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
06/17/20 00:21
Gosh Mark, are you just dirty on the great man because he has turned to quoting from Shakespeare? From where I sit, he is still whimsical, witty, wise, self-deprecating and classy.
Shakespear? Who da heck is that? Oh that's right. He's that writer that can put me to sleep faster than a football game. :)

brooktrout boy
Sport

Post by brooktrout boy »

A Shakespeare is a wobbly weapon. Mostly owned by gentlemen of advancing years. I hope that clears a few things up.

-J

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

brooktrout boy wrote:
06/20/20 12:47
A Shakespeare is a wobbly weapon. Mostly owned by gentlemen of advancing years. I hope that clears a few things up.

-J
Sure does, Those are the guys that need the nap. :)

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Shakespeare died over 400 years ago, yet his plays are still read, produced for the stage and adapted into movies (quite recent ones being Richard II - The Hollow Crown - the Tempest and King Lear to name a few. Many of his works have been "updated" such as the conversion of Romeo and Juliet's saga into "West Side Story". According to the Guiness Book of World Records there have been over 400 screen and film productions and adaptations of Shakespeare's works. The St Crispen's day speech is one of the most famous and repeated paragraphs ever written. I suspect his works will continue to be read and produced centuries from now. Obviously they speak to some people.

Mr Gierach is a good writer. Will his books be read 100 years from now?

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

If you like Shakespeare and British comedy I highly recommend the BBC comedy Upstart Crow. It’s done by the guy that wrote Blackadder. It’s quite good.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

"In the years I've fished here there have been high runoffs, and one massive thousand-year flood that profoundly rearranged the drainage in places, not to mention droughts - plus all the other natural and man-made 'slings and arrows' trout streams are 'heir to.'

Quite a nice compound sentence JG including some beautifully assimilated quotes from the most famous speech in Shakespeare - "To be or not to be." That is why you are the best fly fishing writer in the world today. Be proud America!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Flykuni here, I thank you PYochim, and to let you know my 10-vol set is available on Amazingon, not Amazon mind you. And not to get political, but I am a supporter of all men, women and children kneeling in streams, up to 2 1/2' deep. Because we all enter the world wet, and so we should return to the wet.

And by the way the name of my 10-vol set to look to look for is "10 Books I Have Not Written."
Last edited by Flykuni3 on 07/29/20 01:13, edited 2 times in total.

Pfphantom Pfisherman
Master Guide

Post by Pfphantom Pfisherman »

bob2935 wrote:
11/08/19 06:26
I too agree that John's early work is the best. His work has kinda flattened out but I still buy all his books as there is still some entertainment value. Plus I love to hear my wife kid me about buying another fishing book. Have over a 1,000 and counting.

Upon reading a thread on this forum about a book called Outdoor Chronicles I took a chance as I had never heard of the book or author Jerry Hamza. I loved it and there is a great mix of humor, self deprecation and the intermixing of fishing with life experiences. It was as enjoyable as Gierach's Trout Bum which is an all time favorite. Kinda surprised there was not more talk about this book. For me it was the most enjoyable fishing book I have read in years.

Bohemian Bob

I agree wholeheartedly!
Best book I have read this year!

WNCtroutstalker

Post by WNCtroutstalker »

I also ordered Outdoor Chronicles by Hamza after seeing it mentioned on the board. A great read, I enjoyed it very much.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

WNCtroutstalker wrote:
07/11/20 10:50
I also ordered Outdoor Chronicles by Hamza after seeing it mentioned on the board. A great read, I enjoyed it very much.
Agreed, and Jerry's new book, The Zen of Homewater, is due this fall......

Return to “Book Talk”