New Gierach Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

New Gierach Book

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Book due out 4/21/20.

Dumb Luck and the Kindness of Strangers

Ear4
Master Guide

Re: New Gierach Book

Post by Ear4 »

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.

FWIW South Creek usually has signed copies of his books when they come out. The signature is nice but I like supporting a bamboo business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

KOOL!

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Sweet!
Brian

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Hmm, I may have to buy a real book again! Especially since it's been many a year since I wasted ten minutes flipping through a Fly Rod & Reel magazine to get to the Gierach at the end. These will be writings that I haven't seen before! :)

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've been a big fan of John Gierach's writing for many years.

I just hope the new book on the horizon is more diverse than his last one--"A Fly Rod of Your Own" which, IMO, is essentially a north-of-the-border travelogue.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I too hope it's more like the old Gierach. I was turned off by his last one. It was well written, but I'm not well enough off to identify with that viewpoint and that's a bit of a turnoff to me.

bornwrongera
Sport

Post by bornwrongera »

Love the old writings of John Gierach, but, we all change with age and maybe were going to see a little difference in his writings, as he too grows older.
At any rate, it's great to hear that he will have a new book coming out in the Spring.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I too agree that John's early work is the best. His work has kinda flattened out but I still buy all his books as there is still some entertainment value. Plus I love to hear my wife kid me about buying another fishing book. Have over a 1,000 and counting.

Upon reading a thread on this forum about a book called Outdoor Chronicles I took a chance as I had never heard of the book or author Jerry Hamza. I loved it and there is a great mix of humor, self deprecation and the intermixing of fishing with life experiences. It was as enjoyable as Gierach's Trout Bum which is an all time favorite. Kinda surprised there was not more talk about this book. For me it was the most enjoyable fishing book I have read in years.

Bohemian Bob

Ron Barch
Guide

Post by Ron Barch »

I agree 100%, Outdoor Chronicles is one of the best reads I have had the pleasure to enjoy in years. Right up there with Dana Lamb, Gene Hill, and Robert Traver. Jerry Hamza is indeed a kindred spirit and fine writer.
Go Get A Hard Copy!!! Ron Barch

BlueDunn
Master Guide

Post by BlueDunn »

Sounds interesting. I have to check out the Outdoor Chronicles as well

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered it and am looking forward to reading it.

brooktrout boy
Sport

Post by brooktrout boy »

Hi and thanks for the very kind words. An author can have no greater reward! To be mentioned with Gierach, that is high praise.

warmest regards- Jerry Hamza

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Of course I will read John's latest, but I agree that his writing isn't what it used to be.

Funny, how we miss his earlier work, where he writes about the farm ponds of his youth and the small trout in his backyard.

Now that most of his writing is about being flown into far-flung areas of the globe to fish for monsters, his work often reads like a magazine article - entertaining, but not something I am going to reread.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I quit reading his stuff a while ago. I would much rather read Darrell's (Flykuni) writings on this site.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Did the release of this book get pushed out a couple months? I ordered a copy after reading these posts and was informed the book would ship this month--- April... when I checked on this yesterday, I saw a new ship date of June?

Just wondering... thanks...

Ed

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

Mike just posted signed copies in the classifieds

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Mike is shipping signed copies, send an email per the classified listing.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

adkfan wrote:Mike just posted signed copies in the classifieds
Thanks... but what's unclear to me... is he taking orders, or shipping books now?

Ed

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

I talked to Mike today and I got the sense he is packing them to send out now.

I didn’t ask him when my copy was coming but he said “this will give you something to read while you are home.”

Return to “Book Talk”