Favorite Flies for the Catskills

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Flies for the Catskills

Post by Eperous »

I believe this is the first of a series of books Stackpole will be bringing forth on regional favorite trout flies. Mike Valla pulled this one together, and its titled Favorite Flies for the Catskills.

Ed

Ear4
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Flies for the Catskills

Post by Ear4 »

Sweet! I have loved Mike’s other books. I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I ordered mine from Dette's and they shipped it Monday. They are thirty miles away. The USPS figured they could do better. Yesterday it was somewhere in New Jersey, which is not between Livingston Manor and Hancock. I won't get it until Monday per tracking. Progress in our modern society: I guess they have done away with local mail.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Just got one on eBay for $17.00. I know a lot of the tiers in this book so should be good read.

Andre

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Cannot have enough books during this time. Just got my copy of Favorite Flies and loved it. Well written, researched and the photo's are excellent which of coarse is typical of Mike's work. It's a must have for fly tiers in general and all those obscure patterns look like they are fun to tie. Never met Mike but did see him present last year at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center on brookie ponds in the Adirondack's and it was a fun presentation as Mike is so laid back but also funny. A real enthusiast to say the least and modest which I find refreshing.

Bohemian Bob
Last edited by bob2935 on 04/17/20 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

68camaro

Post by 68camaro »

This is great, I have never fished the Catskills and hope to this year, excellent timing - thanks.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I haven't fished the Catskills in twenty plus years and don't expect to ever get back there but that said I will truly enjoy the book for memory sake. Ordered mine today along wit Valla's Streamer book.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Hellmtflies,

I ordered the same yesterday. Should be good reads.

Alan

68camaro

Post by 68camaro »

Received book today, was only able to browse a little but book looks well worth it. Really laid out well with excellent descriptions. Will be great reference for library, now I just need to get to Catskills.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Mike Valla, writing/getting published books that more than just appeal to me.
Photos of the flies: simply incredible.
Stories, with the personal touch: throwbacks to the old "Literature" on our sport.

In this book, the "Smolive" was fun to see; mucking around I've been fishing something similar for a bit on my waters. Of course mine's not near as good, but just fun to see that our game is a big circle and we often wind up at the same place.

Return to “Book Talk”