Bryn Hammond: Halcyon Days

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Bryn Hammond: Halcyon Days

Post by creakycane »

With work and high water keeping me off the streams in recent days, I have been perusing some books on the shelf. One I never gave a proper read, but am really enjoying, is Bryn Hammond's "Halcyon Days. In a very detailed, almost academic (in the good sense) fashion, Hammond explores what "the subtitle says: "the nature of trout fishing and fishermen". Lots on New Zealand, UK rivers and fly patterns, C/R, competition, the evening rise and much on fishing literature. A great bibliography and index. This book is from 1992 in the UK, soon after in the US, and probably known to many. I'm sorry I overlooked it. It's always great to find a read one is enthusiastic about among one's own bookshelves.

Best of all, it can be found very reasonably.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bryn Hammond: Halcyon Days

Post by Hellmtflies »

Excellent read! Hammond is one of my all time favorite angling authors. "Halcyon Days" is one of his best. He has a different approach that deserves more credit than he gets. He is a thinker. Top shelf IMHO.
Mark

Return to “Book Talk”