Trout and Flies - Getting Closer

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Trout and Flies - Getting Closer

Post by CDCdun »

Just came across a new book on Amazon. “Trout and Flies - Getting closer” by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker. It reminds me of the classics...selective trout, a modern dry fly code...It’s a good read. It seems to only be available in electronic form. It has video segments to reenforce the written portions which is pretty neat and I think something more how to books will have in the future. The best part is the price. I honestly expected a 50 page poorly written book. Instead I found some authors who are passionate about trout fishing, who have researched fish and flies for years and have taken some great video and still photos to back up their techniques. They have clearly put a great deal of effort into this book. I can certainly think of worse ways to pass isolated time during runoff!

https://www.amazon.com/Trout-Flies-Gett ... 296&sr=8-1

Jake

dave potts
Guide

Re: Trout and Flies - Getting Closer

Post by dave potts »

Jake,
I was looking at the link you provided (thanks for that) and noted that the preview ended on page 32. Was wondering just how long the book was- surely longer than 32 pages. Do the links to the videos work ok? That is an interesting concept and I agree with you that may be seen more in future books. I also noted that Davy Wotton gave it high praises. That's pretty good testimony.

Dave

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

It would be hard to find two more knowledgeable guys than Peter and Don. They have some amazing video and stills footage - think Goddard and Clarke’s The trout and the fly, but with modern high-tec cameras.

Peter’s other book Fly fishing outside the box: Emerging heresies is also a good read

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Yes, Peter Hayes earlier book is superb. Alas, being a words on paper man, I emailed the authors for the possibility of a real book. Does not seem in the cards. I may still pony up for the electronic copy, but really prefer hard copies.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

I agree, it would be nice to have a proper hardback book with QR links to the video footage; but I guess they put a lot of time and effort into the video footage, so they are sticking to an e-book format.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Guys, this book is 350 pages. That includes appendix and prologue stuff, but there aren’t many pages of that. Just a ton of information, especially when you consider the $13 price. I like a hard book also, much prefer it over this e-book, but I’ll take what I can get. The videos work great!

Jake

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I enjoyed Peter Hayes' previous book and bought this one too. It's full of new insights with excellent photos and videos to illustrate them. That said, this book is poorly designed, which may be why it isn't available in print form, which would have required a lot of professional design work. The type is very small, densely packed and without any white space to give your eyes any relief. It needs more subheadings to orient the reader to what's about to come. It's like a firehose of information coming at you with dense paragraphs or what appear to be paragraphs with no spaces in between them. Unlike most Kindle books, it doesn't have many of the usual features like variable type sizes, ability to go back to refer to a related topic without scrolling back page by page and other useful features. I think the scannable links are fine, but it seems to take two devices to both access the videos and see the text.

What I've read is interesting and insightful, as usual, but it takes too much effort to fight through the very awkward formatting to be an enjoyable as well as informative read.

Return to “Book Talk”