Best edition of H P Wells Fly-Rods and Fly Tackle?

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Best edition of H P Wells Fly-Rods and Fly Tackle?

Post by cdmoore »

What's the best edition and why do you think so?

Thanks!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Best edition of H P Wells Fly-Rods and Fly Tackle?

Post by Gnome »

I have the first edition and do not have the second, curious as too what you see as the differences between the two?

G

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I only have the 1901 edition. In the Preface, the author states that the publishers advised him that it would soon be out of print and proposed a new edition. He said he wanted to revise it and partly at least, rewrite it. Before doing so, however, he wanted to conclude some experiments, and he also wanted to further investigate how lines, leaders, and flies appeared to trout under varying conditions of light and water, varying depths, and over light and dark colored backgrounds, as well as in sunshine and shadow. It seemed, though, that he was never quite able to finish all the experiments he wanted to do. So, in 1900, he finally realized that he better start writing notwithstanding the fact that he hadn't finished all he wanted to accomplish before the revision. He said that he reviewed the whole book, rewriting where necessary, adding much new material, and removing some old material.

So, although I've never compared the editions, apparently the author thought all the work was with it.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Thanks, very interesting. Googling turned up two first editions, one US and one UK, and then the later edition.

Jeff, I've never read the book. I may start with the 2nd Edition based on the info above.

Return to “Book Talk”